Taking a few in

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Im going to take 2 braford pairs along with another brindle calf next week.
Rather than hay them for the next 2 months.
One pair is a cow and her heifer calf thats maybe 200 lbs
The other cow and her steer calf maybe 250
Lone calf is almost a brindle heifer at 250 also
Cows should be bred but are maybe 45 days.

Any predictions?
They are all nothin specials. But laid back easy ones.
This will be my first time selling at auction and not buying

hooknline":mp6lbcl6 said:
Im going to take 2 braford pairs along with another brindle calf next week.
Rather than hay them for the next 2 months.
One pair is a cow and her heifer calf thats maybe 200 lbs
The other cow and her steer calf maybe 250
Lone calf is almost a brindle heifer at 250 also
Cows should be bred but are maybe 45 days.

Any predictions?
They are all nothin specials. But laid back easy ones.
This will be my first time selling at auction and not buying
Matters more about how "fat" the cows are...If your selling because of drought your market is slaughter...Calves would sell well here but don't know about your market....

Last week, slaughter cows were hitting in the 70 cents again.

These arent mine. Seller is cuttin these out because of no rain and had planned on cutting them out in spring anyway. They are in ok condition for having calves on em. Probably bcs 4-4.5
Main reason for selling them now is so she doesnt have their cost.
If she gets a check for 2800 total she'd be happy

The pairs should sell good if cows are in good shape,and calves are nice.The lone calf though,i wouldn't expect much not here anyways.I was at the stockyards last week selling some cull cows,and there was a guy selling roughly 20 black angus calves that were weighing anything from 175 to 300.Nothing wrong with the calves,just takin off there mothers way to early!! If i remember correctly the 300 pounders sold for a $1.10 a pound and the lighter they got the worse the price,the ones that weighed 175 pounds sold for 75 cents a pound.Feedlots aren't set up for small calves like this, they don't even want them.The order buyers didn't even want to bid on these calves.

I've been looking at sale barn prices and seeing them way the heck up.

What is really surprising me is the number of head being so small. Seems there aren't many (of anything) being sold right now.

Edit: This was Meridian last week. Don't know what happened today. http://www.mlslivestock.com/new_page_6.html

Bhb. Im beginning to wonder if people are holding off taking em in till spring im the hopes of bigger money. If any market gets flooded suddenly the prices may hold or may drop. Thats my take anyway

I was at the sale yesterday . Fat cows were bringing 75 a few to 80 .moderate flesh bcs 5 Or better 60 to 65 thin cows in the 50s . Fat calves 250 lbs bringing 2 dollars

backhoeboogie":1lprtfzz said:
I've been looking at sale barn prices and seeing them way the heck up.

What is really surprising me is the number of head being so small. Seems there aren't many (of anything) being sold right now.

Edit: This was Meridian last week. Don't know what happened today. http://www.mlslivestock.com/new_page_6.html

Was at Meridian today and it was even higher this week
Many 300-320# steers bringing $2.00+

Hook
I think your friend will be pleased as this market has gone crazy since Thanksgiving

hooknline":1biv9d38 said:
Bhb. Im beginning to wonder if people are holding off taking em in till spring im the hopes of bigger money. If any market gets flooded suddenly the prices may hold or may drop. Thats my take anyway
I'd think the recent "rains"....are the cause and effect as well as the calendar turning over. (at least around here)

talked to a buddy of mine sun,an he sent 7 calves to the sale that aved $750 a hd.so your friend should do real good on what they are wanting to sale.esp since theres a big shortage of cattle an calves.

hooknline":281rmacn said:
These arent mine. Seller is cuttin these out because of no rain and had planned on cutting them out in spring anyway. They are in ok condition for having calves on em. Probably bcs 4-4.5
Main reason for selling them now is so she doesnt have their cost.
If she gets a check for 2800 total she'd be happy

NO RAIN? same here in middle south FL. barely a drop in the front that moved through this morning. 90 percent chance of thunder showers, and it drizzles for 5 minutes. :(

Gators Rule":31xxxvji said:
NO RAIN? same here in middle south FL. barely a drop in the front that moved through this morning. 90 percent chance of thunder showers, and it drizzles for 5 minutes. :(

Quite familiar with that type forecast and what really happens....we got 4/10ths out of the 4 inches we were told we were going to get.....but that's a lot more than we used to get.

Calf did well. 1.70
Pairs were right there with the other 9 pairs sold but i was disappointed with what they brought.
Would have done better if i split em. Lesson learned.
Also, anything decent and black or bwf did much much better than their rwf or any other counterparts. Better by .50-75/lb insome cases. Saw a 1800 lb bull go for .96/lb and that was to a canner. Learnrd alot today about what the buyers want today

hooknline":3u99bdv7 said:
Calf did well. 1.70
Pairs were right there with the other 9 pairs sold but i was disappointed with what they brought.
Also, anything decent and black or bwf did much much better than their rwf or any other counterparts. Better by .50-75/lb insome cases. Saw a 1800 lb bull go for .96/lb and that was to a canner. Learnrd alot today about what the buyers want today
So many times I have seen people buy the pair, then before the pair leaves the ring they have the actioneer split them and sell off the calf, and make some good money for 2 seconds of ownership. The original owner is looking around like what happened. It's a crap shoot one day it works as a pair the next day not.

Sounds as if the calf did well. Reading the original post I was thinking she may clear 2400 for the lot. Hope the Lady did better than I thought on the total group.

fitz

hooknline":1d2ip09r said:
Calf did well. 1.70

So how far was I off with my very rude comments. :lol2: