Taking a bull back . . . .

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Used a bull one year for cleanup - produce awesome calves - didn't know it till after I sold him. Fella wants to trade him back to me for a new bull so he can retain some heifers. Wouldn't mind collecting him - maybe using him for cleanup again. What sort of quarantine do you use to minimize cross herd contamination? The other fella runs a closed herd, but wouldn't necessarily say it has a top notch herd health protocol. Thoughts?

This day and time you need to be carefull when introducing animals back into your herd.
I would do definitly do a Trich test, and for me I would take a blood sample and test for
bang's, (even though we are supposably a bang's free area) lepto to name a few.
Big thing for me is the Trich test. Looking to bring back a bull I used on heifers a couple
of years ago......Bulls scanned really well and the heifers are as good as I have produced.
I will be testing.

DM

I'm talking myself out of it. I guess a trich test is 90% effective so you need to run it twice to make it 99% effective . . . . but is a 1% chance running trich through the herd worth it? Maybe I'll collect him and take him to the salebarn.

TennesseeTuxedo":3h0dylnf said:
What period of time would that be Running Arrow?

When we have taken a bull back from breeding service, we usually quarantine him for 10 to 14 days to check for any obvious symptoms of anything. Only lease out a "junior bull" (one that we do not use for our own herd sire).

Latest posts