Takes a long time to wake up

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Every once in a blue moon, I'll have a bad nights sleep, but not very often. In fact, if sleeping was an Olympic event, I'd be a gold medalist. Problem is, I can't get woke up. If I need up at 6:00, I'll set my alarm for 5:00. Just so I can hit the snooz for an hour. Now I get up early, and I accomplish a lot before I leave for work, and get to work ready to roll. I just struggle to get myself out of bed. Anybody else care to admit to the same?

Bigfoot I am worse than my parents ever were. I wake up, look at the clock, and lay there a bit. I finally give up, get up and make coffee. Afternoons are what kill me. Eat lunch and I need a nap. I hate afternoon meetings.

My wife goes to work earlier than me as I can take the kids to school on my way to work. I normally sleep about 30 minutes later and hate her hitting that button to then wake me up again and again. I've not hit snooze since I was in High School. Alarm goes off and my feet hit the floor.

Bigfoot":23z6g222 said:
Every once in a blue moon, I'll have a bad nights sleep, but not very often. In fact, if sleeping was an Olympic event, I'd be a gold medalist. Problem is, I can't get woke up. If I need up at 6:00, I'll set my alarm for 5:00. Just so I can hit the snooz for an hour. Now I get up early, and I accomplish a lot before I leave for work, and get to work ready to roll. I just struggle to get myself out of bed. Anybody else care to admit to the same?

When I wake, I get up. Do you think the practice of setting the alarm so you can snooze, conditions you to bad sleep habits?

Bigfoot":1xmysd0k said:

Same here. If I need to get up at 6, there is no way I'll set my alarm for 6; it's set for 5.

Bright Raven":1lyvma2g said:
Bigfoot":1lyvma2g said:

When I wake, I get up. Do you think the practice of setting the alarm so you can snooze, conditions you to bad sleep habits?

I don't consider it bad sleep habits; it's something I have always done. To me, there are few better feelings in the world than when I first wake up in the morning and just want to melt into the bed.

Then again, everyone is wired differently with sleep. I know some people who if they are awakened at 2:00am, their night of sleep is shot; they may as well get up. Not me. If I'm awakened in the night, it's no big deal. I just roll over and go back to sleep until time to get up.

Bright Raven":35ibi39t said:
Bigfoot":35ibi39t said:

That may very well be the case, I will say it just feels good. 3 or 4 little cat naps just feel good.

Long shower hot enough to take hair off a hog is what I gotta have when I do get moving.

slick4591":yrr6v80f said:
I can get out of bed easy enough, but there better be caffeine in the very near future or I'm a non-producer.

That's one way to get me dressed and out of the house in a hurry..run out of coffee.
I'm gonna have my coffee..somewhere.

As a milk tester, I have a schedule that varies from day to day. I set the alarm every night and 99% of the time it is a different time than the day before. I will usually hear the click before it actually goes off. Have ALWAYS been a morning person, even as a kid I would get up 2 hrs before school and ride my horse for 45 minutes exercise before getting ready and getting on the bus. I have never used the snooze on any alarm clock I have... to me if I need to be somewhere at 5 a.m. and it takes me 45 min to get there; Then I set it for 1 1/2 hrs before the time I need to be in the barn, get up, get dressed, get all my stuff in the car and leave so I can plan on being in the barn 15 min before milking time if I don't have to set up equipment. If there is set up to do, I try to allow enough time to do so, which means another half hour at least.
I think there might be something to the snooze creating bad sleep habits; or at least bad "wake up " habits. But I have always been fortunate to be able to just lay down and go to sleep, no fuss or tossing or turning.
There have been a few times I have overslept; mostly because I forgot to set the alarm but a few times I set it but forgot to turn it on.
I am not one to like to lay in bed much either, but am looking forward to the day that I can consider 5 or 6 a.m. morning, instead of 2 or 3 a.m. like some dairy farmers do.

slick4591":12it3vu3 said:
I can get out of bed easy enough, but there better be caffeine in the very near future or I'm a non-producer.

My routine is first, Water, sleeping dehydrates me. Second, coffee. I enjoy that!

I have no problem getting up
Most times I'm up before my alarm goes off

My problem is a can't go to sleep at night.
About only sure fire sleep aid I've found is a 6 pack in the evening then eat dinner late.
I don't know what the combination does but I'll be asleep in an hour
If I don't eat dinner I can knock out a 12 pack and still not get sleepy

It's interesting as to how people are wired differently. I've discussed this with friends before. As I said before, there are few better feelings in the world to me than that feeling when I wake up in the morning. It's great waking an hour before I get up and getting to lie there and possibly take a few cat naps.

I even enjoy waking up around 3 and realizing, yeeeeeees, it's not time to get up yet; I have two more hours. In the summer time if there is nothing pressing, I'll take a day here and there and stay in bed until I feel like getting up. Sometimes i force myself to get up if it starts to get embarrassing, but I sure don't get up at 5:00am like when school is in session.

On the other hand, some people act like sleeping is a burden; it's just something they are forced to fit in their schedule to stay healthy, but they get no pleasure from it.

Cross-7":3suj7o75 said:
I have no problem getting up
Most times I'm up before my alarm goes off

My problem is a can't go to sleep at night.
About only sure fire sleep aid I've found is a 6 pack in the evening then eat dinner late.
I don't know what the combination does but I'll be asleep in an hour
If I don't eat dinner I can knock out a 12 pack and still not get sleepy

:help: :D

You just live an exciting life!

callmefence":66ovp80h said:
My eyes open at 5:00 am automatically. Even without a alarm clock. 7 days a week no matter what time I went to bed. I don't think I've ever overslept. My wife hates it.
Pretty much the same way here except it's now around 5:30am every morning. I'm up drinking coffee on the back porch in the dark. Never been able to sleep late. But I also enjoy a little nap around noon as well. :nod:

Latest posts