Take off sod inorder to roto-till

Help Support CattleToday:

hayray

Reaction score
A neighbor comes over to me while I am clearing some fence rows on one of my farms the other day and ask if I have any manure so he can mix in with his new garden. I take a look at the garden spot and what he did was take his little yuppie tractor with loader and scraped off all the sod along with about 4 inches of top soil. He said he read it in some magazine called Mother EArth News that if you did that it would be easier to roto-til that way. I was pretty much speachless and have been having some pretty good laughs with the rest of my farmer buddies about this. I told him it is ruined and pick a new spot and start over, he hasn't taken my advice.

Mother Earth should have told him to cover the area with black plastic and let the sun shine hot on it for a couple of weeks and thus kill all the plant life with solar heat. What I would have done is kill all the plant life with roundup. Mother Earth probably doesn't approve of roundup.

And as far as round up goes I was over next to his property working up a 20 acre piece that I fall applied round up on last year and am getting ready to till it up. You would think he would want to follow the procedure I am using.

Don't that tic you off hayray, when you demonstrate to somebody something that works and they ignore it? Some people have to learn or teach themselves I guess. Ineffecient and unthrifty is the name for it.

hayray":2vnl0iyp said:
And as far as round up goes I was over next to his property working up a 20 acre piece that I fall applied round up on last year and am getting ready to till it up. You would think he would want to follow the procedure I am using.

I have a new neighbor who is the same way. I think they think our carbon footprint may be too large for their liking. Me and another neighbor have tried to welcome the guy in the neighborhood and have tried to lend any assistance where we can. All of this seems unwelcome soe we both just sit back and watch in amazement at how much effort can be spent to accomplish nothing. Its been very educational.