Take a Whack at my Shorthorn heifer.

Help Support CattleToday:

shortyjock89

Reaction score
Alright guys, it's time for another calf to be rendered useless again lol I'm just kidding...I really do want your opinion of this heifer. She is an April 07 out of a Goldmine 2109 bull that we raised, and out of a Kool x Warhorse cow. We know that she's not the best show heifer to ever walk the planet, but we think shes gonna be a good cow. Anyhow, we are going to be selling her in March, but we were wondering if we should push her and show her in Feb. Any thoughts?

100_0054.jpg

She looks pretty good.

Good points: Good topline, excellent depth and capacity, adequate muscling, adequate structure, appears to be very thick over the topline, appears to have good pelvic capacity, nice broody head.

Not-so-good points: appears heavy in the shoulder (could be the hair), needs a better neck extension, short-bodied (could be because of the depth), too high in the tail head (but you guys like that, so I cant win there).

Overall, I reckon she's a decent heifer. I think she will make a big powerful cow. If you havent got too many others, and she wont let the team down too much, I would take her round a few shows. Especially if you think it would increase her value.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

hey thanks for letting me know exactly what you liked and didnt like. I agree that she could have a better front all around, she's even a bit twisted off the front legs. I really hate making excuses for my heifers, but this one really doesn't have a high tailhead at all, she just wouldn't put her tail down, plus there was a wind coming in on her backside, it probably tickled lol. Shes decently long bodied in person, but shes no stretch limo.

I don't know how familiar you are with Shorthorns, but have you seen any of the Waukaru-influenced cattle in Australia? I have a friend in Aus. and when we were looking at cattle, that the only bulls that impressed him were the Goldmine 2109 bull and the Coppertop bull. I know that you folks over there like your cattle a bit like Waukaru does. Anyhow, thanks, and I wish I had taken a picture of this heifer before I clipped her.....and she probably won't be a show heifer except for maybe one or two shows, we're selling her as a Junior project that will make a good cow.

Very eye appealing no doubt, but I can see a few holes in her.

Good: Great lines (top and bottom), appears to have good structure though another view might indicate differently, deep sided, adequate bone but I would like to see a touch more

Not so Good: like to see her more level hooks to pins, more neck extension and smoother shoulder, more expression of muscle in the stifle and lower rear quarter (again a dif. view might indicate otherwise)

As for pointing out faults in your own cattle, that's the only way to know what a better animal looks like which will help you in the long run. If we weren't so curious about faults then we wouldn't listen so closely to the judges when they talk the class.

Where are you selling her - private treaty or consignment.

As for showing her, it depends on what else you have in the barn. I'd definitely haul her around a little though.

Farmwife-thanks for letting me know what you think of her. She's consigned to a sale in Macomb, Illinois to take place the first weekend in March. The auction is sponsored by the IL Shorthorn Assn. I don't think we'll show her, but I think she could be a good show heifer for someone else. This is a picture of a May Perfect Timing heifer that I raised. She is out of a Sonny cow. Let me know what you think of her. Her tailhead looks high,but rest assured,it is not as high as it appears. It was the same windy day, and I thought it was a pretty good picture otherwise. Thanks,
SJ89

100_0070.jpg

I like the white heifer much better, may be the hairdo. She seems super correct with great lines. I would work on the hair over the shoulder/spine juncture - seems to break just a touch. Also I would like to see a little more muscle expression in the forearm and in the rump region between the hooks and pins. She looks to have her head turned slightly, nonetheless I think she could use a little more extension in the neck. Please don't misunderstand, she's nice -- very nice. It's apparent that you have worked your behind off on her hair. Keep us posted.

farmwife":18loasbz said:
I like the white heifer much better, may be the hairdo. She seems super correct with great lines. I would work on the hair over the shoulder/spine juncture - seems to break just a touch. Also I would like to see a little more muscle expression in the forearm and in the rump region between the hooks and pins. She looks to have her head turned slightly, nonetheless I think she could use a little more extension in the neck. Please don't misunderstand, she's nice -- very nice. It's apparent that you have worked your behind off on her hair. Keep us posted.

Oh, I understand why you're pointing out her faults...I precisely asked you to. I really don't take offense, as long as I can see where you're coming from, for future reference ;-)
I like this calf alot more too, and I will be showing her a whole lot unless someone comes along and offers me more money than I think she's worth lol. The biggest problem that I have with this heifer is that she's not long enough through her front end. Mind you, she is a heck of alot better than her mother's first two calves were (they were still champions :D ). I think she should be able to stand quite a bit of competition and I'll be sure to keep you posted. Oh and if you know of anyone that would want Shorthorn embryos, we're flushing this heifer's mother to Perfect Timing this summer.
Thanks again,

SJ89

Latest posts