Take a look at this

Help Support CattleToday:

bandit80

Reaction score
Anyone ever seen anything like this?

This calf was born awhile back out of a group of heifers I bred much earlier than normal, and had golf ball sized blood filled tumors under each mouth. His teeth were literally popped out of his mouth. It would not suck, and had no will to live. I tubed it a couple times, and it just bloated up and wouldn't pass a stool. Needless to say he didn't make it.

Calving season has been a bit of a struggle this year so far. Little over a third done and batting 82% so far. I need the last 2/3 to go much better. The ones I have lost have not been to the weather either, just freak deals.

seasons like that are always really nerving... we've had a couple of them... Last year was 105%, so I hope that'll be a streak.... Hope the rest of the season goes better for you!

Ameloblastoma.
Have seen a few in my day. Tumor originating from the epithelial cells that form teeth and their components.
Not likely to be a heritable problem.

piedmontese":2qug3xa0 said:
why did u breed them early?

Last year was a bit of a transition year as I expanded my herd with fall calvers. I was renting several smaller pastures, and I only had 9 replacement heifers. I was going to be short a bull on summer pasture. So instead of buying another bull, I AI'd my heifers earlier than normal, and had the bull that I had used on heifers before in with them for 6 weeks after AI'ing. I didn't want to invest in another bull as I wouldn't need more than the two I had to service my fall and spring herds. Bull came out from the heifers and in with the cows on the same day. Cows were bred to calve at their normal time.

Latest posts