Take a guess at the cost...The Rest of the Story

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
Picking up our 12 month old heifer today from A & M large animal clinic. She has been there for 7 days and had eye surgery for an anterior eye abscess. She did not receive a general anesthetic during surgery. She has be given two shots of draxxin...that stuff is not cheap.

How much do you think the bill will be? Really got me worried. When I asked the vet how much this was going to cost when we left her, his response was not much. Comparing our two salaries, his not much may be a lot more than my not much.

Let the guessing begin.

alacattleman":2hwbpktj said:

That is what it would be here or higher.

Good luck I hope you are NOT gouged.. I am sure they will charge a very reasonable price or he would have suggested a different option.

Since you didn't get a price first, theoretically, the price could be $50,000. If you live in a big town, the vet could still stay in business. If you live in a small town, I would say around $600 but less than the value of the heifer.

HerefordSire":32r4yuug said:
[i]Since you didn't get a price first, theoretically, the price could be $50,000. If you live in a big town, the vet could still stay in business. If you live in a small town, I would say around $600 but less than the value of the heifer.[/i]
and he theoretically, would own himself a heifer

alacattleman":1wv5si2q said:
HerefordSire":1wv5si2q said:
[i]Since you didn't get a price first, theoretically, the price could be $50,000. If you live in a big town, the vet could still stay in business. If you live in a small town, I would say around $600 but less than the value of the heifer.[/i]

What if the poster bought the heifer for $100K last month?

HerefordSire":2qryof8h said:
alacattleman":2qryof8h said:
HerefordSire":2qryof8h said:

then they got two,, i say two problems..

ffamom":k1d2svdy said:
When I asked the vet how much this was going to cost when we left her, his response was not much.

Let the guessing begin.

With that response, I'll swag it and say 200.00.

grannysoo":yp32a4zp said:
ffamom":yp32a4zp said:
When I asked the vet how much this was going to cost when we left her, his response was not much.

Let the guessing begin.

With that response, I'll swag it and say 200.00.

That's what I was going to say. Kids pay $8,000 a semester for room and board....cows stay almost free. :mrgreen:

Don't they usually just charge to cover the costs and the rest is all for the benefit of learning ??

Well ,what was the bill ?
More importantly hows the heifer doing?

HerefordSire":2hpr8e3f said:
alacattleman":2hpr8e3f said:
HerefordSire":2hpr8e3f said:

If that were the case, I doubt she'd be worried sick over a few hundred dollar vet bill. ;-)

It's a school, so technically they are practicing on your heifer. Usually schools are cheaper. DRAXXIN was $300 a bottle the last time I bought it. So I'd say $50 for the two shots and $50 for other supplies such as sutures, etc.. They'll probably charge you for boarding too. My guess is $250 to $400. Let us know!

Cost: $398

$200 for room and board and $200 for medication and medical treatment

How is she? I don't think it was worth the money. She appears no different than when I took her in. Only time will tell. She is the only document case of this type of eye infection, so, no one can give you answers to how quickly it will heal or flare up again.

Sadly, she is only a marginal heifer, but one my son bred and raised. We have better heifers for him to show, but he has an strong bond with this heifer. He would rather stand in the middle of the class with her than show his other heifers. I was ready to remove her eye and turn her into a pasture cow. However, he spent his hard earned money to give her one more chance to keep her eye.

I was way off. Many of you probably think this sounds heartless but in the cattle business, my goal is to make a few nickels. I would not have spent the money. Time is one thing but throwing good money after bad is another. After you have spent a few hundred at the vet and lose one anyway, you have some lessons learned.

Don't feel bad at all mom. I know a Dad who spent $1800 fixing a broken leg for a $1500 bull.

That's amazing. I would have guessed well over $1000.

We took a miniature schnauzer up there for some dental problems because the local vet wasn't sure what to do. The vet up there wound up pulling 6 teeth. We thought that being a state university, the cost would likely be minimal. And that just proves how wrong a person can be. Come checkout time, the clerk said "$1250.00". First we thought she was kidding. But she wasn't. Darn near passed out right there. Should have just told them to keep the dog if they thought it was worth that kind of money, I guess.

But, it did teach us to ask FIRST how much something will cost. That sure keeps a lot of people (I'll tell you about my brother sometime) from taking advantage of you.

ffamom":259nobxj said:
Cost: $398

$200 for room and board and $200 for medication and medical treatment

How is she? I don't think it was worth the money. She appears no different than when I took her in. Only time will tell. She is the only document case of this type of eye infection, so, no one can give you answers to how quickly it will heal or flare up again.

Sadly, she is only a marginal heifer, but one my son bred and raised. We have better heifers for him to show, but he has an strong bond with this heifer. He would rather stand in the middle of the class with her than show his other heifers. I was ready to remove her eye and turn her into a pasture cow. However, he spent his hard earned money to give her one more chance to keep her eye.

My first thought is the price was placed a tad below $400 to make it appear $100 less than $400. Upon closer inspection, the room & board seems too high and the other too low. $210 / 7 days = $30 so each day cost a tad less than $30 per day for room and board which is a tad less than a motel room. Does the heifer wear purple and have royal blood?

Latest posts