Tainted Drugs

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
Many have seen this news on TV. It is getting extensive coverage so you can search for your own links.

As the story unfolds, it is obvious that what may be in medications coming into the US from other countries is almost impossible to completely regulate.

The cases being reported are of contamination that is not deliberately being put into the medication. It is the result of incompetence or poor practices.

What if an employee or group of employees or a drug maker wanted to deliberately contaminate drugs exported to the United States with toxic or harmful substances. Based on the level of testing, there is no way to test for every possible compound that might be in a drug.

Another danger in our new global economy.

Supermarket labels do not indicate how the American diet is now made in China. Over 70 percent of the apple juice, 43 percent of the processed mushrooms, 22 percent of the frozen spinach and 78 percent of the tilapia Americans consumed came from China. But despite a well-documented pattern of chemical adulteration and unsafe drug residues, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has done little to address the growing tide of food imports from the nation. The FDA inspects less than 2 percent of imported food and rarely visits Chinese food manufacturers. Between 2009 and 2010, the FDA conducted only 13 food inspections in China.

U.S. food safety inspectors have been overwhelmed by the surging food imports from China since the country joined the World Trade Organization (WTO) in 2001. These international business deals allow trade to trump food safety and encourage U.S. agribusinesses and food manufacturers to source food ingredients from China where environmental, food safety and labor laws are weaker and regulatory oversight is lax.

Exact same concept. Not deliberate but what if it were?

For example, what if produce from China were deliberately contaminated with a dangerous pathogen?

BTW: I am not a chronic conspiracy theorist. Lol

Bright Raven said:

For example, what if produce from China were deliberately contaminated with a dangerous pathogen?

Ain't it great watching regulations and inspections being rolled back all in the name of capitalism and profits. I assure you Martin Shkreli is a boy scout compared to the people who actually pull the strings.

Bright Raven said:

What if produce from Mexico, or California or Florida or anywhere was? It would be real bad for business.

************* said:
Bright Raven said:

Ain't it great watching regulations and inspections being rolled back all in the name of capitalism and profits. I assure you Martin Shkreli is a boy scout compared to the people who actually pull the strings.
What regulations were eliminated?

Shouldn't the exporting country fund the US inspectors?

HDRider said:
************* said:
Bright Raven said:

They should, but they don't. There is no accountability to follow the regulations.

https://www.iatp.org/news/usda-relies-on-foreign-inspections-meat-plants-abroad-fail-sanitation-checks

Sure, more regulations would be a good plan. Like playing a game of football where the refs are only watching your team, and you vote to increase the number of rules you have to follow.

If another country wants to access our markets, it should come at a price and denied to those that are hostile.

And why does meat produced and sold within a state's boundary need to be inspected by anyone other than a state inspector?

Changing the subject a little, but what about the food that is being brought in. It is tainted also.

jltrent said:
Changing the subject a little, but what about the food that is being brought in. It is tainted also.

Ask someone from South Korea if they will feed their kids baby food made in China. Better yet, ask a rich Chinese individual the same thing.

Guess we need to keep other countries to keep taking advantage of us, for a country our size, pollution we have made large strides, check how China has done, food quality, same thing, health care and drugs, we are probably at the top for cost, and that is something that has to change, just like our borders, not getting off topic, but we don't need to be getting prescription drugs from other countries, but cost in our country is what plays big, drug companies in our country have little competition, and charge what they want.

Cornfed01 said:
HDRider said:
************* said:

They should, but they don't. There is no accountability to follow the regulations.

https://www.iatp.org/news/usda-relies-on-foreign-inspections-meat-plants-abroad-fail-sanitation-checks

Sure, more regulations would be a good plan. Like playing a game of football where the refs are only watching your team, and you vote to increase the number of rules you have to follow.

If another country wants to access our markets, it should come at a price and denied to those that are hostile.

And why does meat produced and sold within a state's boundary need to be inspected by anyone other than a state inspector?

Because the large meat packers don't want small scale processing plants eating away at their revenue.

I know there are people who go to Mexico to get their medicines.
In fact, the daughter of a friend was recently in Mexico and bought her mother some medicine at a real savings.
I know some criticize the lack of quality control. But I'm sure there are people that would have to do without if they couldn't buy in Mexico.

https://www.blacklistednews.com/article/72880/merck-created-hit-list-to-destroy-neutralize-or-discredit-dissenting.html

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Bright Raven said:

Sure starting to sound like one.

What if Brazil sends US hoof and mouth disease. Some things sorry just doesn't cut it.

True Grit Farms said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Bright Raven said:

What if Brazil sends US hoof and mouth disease. Some things sorry just doesn't cut it.

Can you catch that from frozen beef?

TennesseeTuxedo said:
True Grit Farms said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

Can you catch that from frozen beef?

Edited:
I didn't think so, but apparently uncooked materials are considered infective.

Mexico and Canada import live cattle. So then the question becomes what is allowed entry into Mexico and Canada.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WfXssB95_Lg

Latest posts