tail that won't grow

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I've got a reg. buckskin quarter horse gelding whose tail just isn't growing. He's about 7 years old. The lady we got him from said that colts had eaten it but it's been about two years and it isn't much better. He always rubs the top of it out and the rest doesn't get very long or thick. I've tried some antifungal and anti-itch stuff from the feed store. What else can I do? What could be causing this?

[email protected]

Have you wormed him? Not worming is the number one reason for tail rubbing. The number 2 is worming with ivermectin without rotating to something else every 4 to 6 months.

If he has been wormed, try feeding a supplement called Fasttrack. It is a probiotic that helps digestion in the hind gut and as a result hoof and hair quality and growth rate increase.

> I've got a reg. buckskin quarter
> horse gelding whose tail just
> isn't growing. He's about 7 years
> old. The lady we got him from said
> that colts had eaten it but it's
> been about two years and it isn't
> much better. He always rubs the
> top of it out and the rest doesn't
> get very long or thick. I've tried
> some antifungal and anti-itch
> stuff from the feed store. What
> else can I do? What could be
> causing this?

Danny, another problem often times is the DIRTY sheath. Suprisingly few people ever think to check that out. on mares its the teats on geldings its the sheath.A really good product to use is EXCALIBUR sheath cleaner for horses it's good for mares too.This is really good stuff!!!made by equicare.Good Luck!!!

[email protected]