tail switch pulled off

Help Support CattleToday:

jt

Reaction score
just wondering what most do with a cow that has pulled her tail switch off?

noticed one yesterday morning that had done so, and must of have just happened when she got up as i rode past them, because there was only a small amount of blood on the back of her legs.

by the time i got home in the evening she looked like a stuck pig. blood all over the back half of her and still bleeding.

i was able to run her thru the chute and i put a zip tie about 2-3 inches above the end of her tail. it stopped the bleeding immediately. not sure how long i will leave it on, but was just checking in to see what most others do with this.

thanks

jt

well it should stop on its own. maybe some blood stop are cauterize it. but i wouldnt leave that strap on too long. she needs all the tail she has left with it bleeding like that it was diffenitly torn off and probably not fescue fungus sence it slows the blood

i think i am going to take it off this evening and if it starts bleeding bad again, put another one on, but not quite as tight. i had figured most would tell me to just let her alone, which i will do if it doesnt bleed much. i hope it has clotted off enough or at least will overnight. i didnt take it off this morning, but wanted to wait until the night thinking she might lay around more at night, hopefully helping to stop the bleeding.

i have always heard that this could be a messy thing, but have never had this happen until now.

jt

We have a cow that lost her tail switch also. I have not noticed any injury and we don't have fescue. Have no idea what caused it but will it grow back?

We used to lose a lot of switches and tails in my younger years, with Holsteins, due to freezing or tail rot. Never seemed to bother them much until fly sesaon.

took the zip tie off last night and no bleeding. still ok this morning, and i turned her back out.

jt

Good idea with the zip tie :idea: . Never thought of using them as a tourniquet. I keep a hand full on the tractors and in the trucks. There is very little that cannot be fixed with duct tape, zip ties, and WD-40. Further proof that farmers make good engineers. And vets (sometimes).

Latest posts