Tail out = Calving imminent?

Help Support CattleToday:

Vebinad

Reaction score
Hey all. I apologize in advance for the newbie question.

In terms of our heavy bred cows, we've always associated tail out/kinked that a calf will be arriving soon. We've got one girl whose tail has been held out for 4 days. She is bagged up, occasional clear slime. No signs of straining or discomfort otherwise. Just stuffs her face and chews her cud all day. Is this just the calf moving into position and pressure? Or should we have her checked?

This will be her 3rd calf. She is notorious for taking her sweet time to calve in previous years, but never with the tail out for so long!

I'd just keep an eye on her. Sounds like false contractions. If she seems content then you'll just have to wait.

Read the title and first though was...you have a problem.... :shock: let's hope not. :nod:

Hate it when I find them starting. Would rather find the calf by her side.

It would pay to check. With a breech birth when just the tail and buttocks are presented, nothing engages the vagina to stimulate contractions so things can be going bad with no visible outward signs.

Ken

I'm with Ken. I'd make haste in gloving her as well. Tangled twins, deceased calf and uterine torsions are best dealt with ASAP.

Thanks everyone. Gloved her and all seemed ok. Her tail stayed out like that until this morning when she finally calved a 45lb (she's a Dexter) bull calf. All is well.

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you had a calf without problems. I've never seen one with a tail out like that, unless they were about to calve or defecate.

Latest posts