Tail Length and fertility

Help Support CattleToday:

redpoll52

Reaction score
From what I have noticed. The shorter the tail, the higher the yeild of an animal with no effect on their fertility.

redpoll52":3ckp7npr said:
From what I have noticed. The shorter the tail, the higher the yeild of an animal with no effect on their fertility.

Can you explain that in greater detail?

What I have always heard was long tail = high milk, less beef, more fertility. Short tail = exact opposite.

It seems to be a relatively simple indicator. Have never put it to test on a major scale. I will say, that when comparing our bulls used over the last 20 years, their daughters, on average, reflect what is seen in tail length. :cowboy:

Aaron":zh5r5e9r said:
What I have always heard was long tail = high milk, less beef, more fertility. Short tail = exact opposite.

It seems to be a relatively simple indicator. Have never put it to test on a major scale. I will say, that when comparing our bulls used over the last 20 years, their daughters, on average, reflect what is seen in tail length. :cowboy:

We use to look for "long thin tails"...not the big fat ones.

Aaron":3m39hzql said:

Would the same thing apply if the tail was froze off, be it completely or partly?

IluvABbeef":310rmfhe said:
Aaron":310rmfhe said:

Would the same thing apply if the tail was froze off, be it completely or partly?

:lol2:

I wonder how fertile cows are in dairies where they dock all the tails.. :cowboy:

hillsdown":3srh3oao said:
IluvABbeef":3srh3oao said:
Aaron":3srh3oao said:

:lol2:

I wonder how fertile cows are in dairies where they dock all the tails.. :cowboy:

I do think the original post referenced tail length etc. without consideration to what man or weather might do to them during their lifetime.

Had a heifer born with just a little stub of a tail that was cycling by the time she was 6 months old.

I've been a bit short of tail for twenty years and I have four kids so there might be something to it. There's a real interesting test for fertility we do up here-run a bull withy them for 40 days-if they're pregnant they're fertile-you don't have to worry about all this subjective goobledygook.

dun":2z7cw1ea said:
Had a heifer born with just a little stub of a tail that was cycling by the time she was 6 months old.

There you go Dun! That confirms it. That's scientific enough for me. ;-)

Interesting comments everybody !!

I have been associated with both types, the long thin tail types don't suit what I breed for thats for sure. They are weak in constitution
and canott cope with our hard, cold, wet winters and dry summers. Their calves are never as good at weaning as a beefey cow and therefore slower to finish.

Ask comercial farmers about cows with short tails and beef on them. They usually reply with "thats the most productive cow in my herd"

Cows with a bit of beef on them are also better foragers on large scale hilly high country farms, where as the more dairy type are not.

You often get twelve to fifteen years production out of a strong beefey cow and the figures show over here that the other type only
get five or six years maximum.

What Im trying to get at is that "beef cattle" should be "beef cattle" and don't try and change that. If you want dairy type animals, buy a milking cow like a Jersey or Holstene Friesan. Don't buy beef cows and breed them like dairy's.

I look forward to your comments

Bet you couldn't convince the "Supergene" advocates of that RedPoll52. They believe that short tails are less productive and that is just not true. My old cow had 19 calves and a short tail whereas my "Supergene" types with there long tails couldn't make it past ten years and always left calves that wouldn't grow well after weaning. At the end of the day constitution is what really counts.

All's I know. :nod: Is if you like Oxtail Stew you would want a thick meaty tail. :cowboy:

brandonm_13":14wvjjjl said:
Personally, I just breed and cull based on fertility, and let the tail length be whatever it wants to be.

Don't spoil a fun conversation with common sense!

KNERSIE":3uc82wp9 said:
brandonm_13":3uc82wp9 said:
Personally, I just breed and cull based on fertility, and let the tail length be whatever it wants to be.

Don't spoil a fun conversation with common sense!

Supergene advocates wouldn't understand the phrase "Common Sense" as there is no allowances for anything but their ideas.