Tail head/tail set

Help Support CattleToday:

Rosielou

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I've wondering if anyone here has any examples on the correct way a tail head should set? And if there are pros/cons of having one that is high and one that is low, or is it just opinion? I've been trying to find information and examples but I haven't came across much yet, and I'm not very familiar on the subject. Thanks in advance.

Depends on the breed. The only real advantage to having a high tailhead is that it's showier..depending on your target market, that might be pretty important.

Higher tailhead set and cocky tailheads correlate with higher pins and STYLE...the showring may like style...
But it also correlates with narrower pins [narrower birth canal] a level wide rump or a slight slope from hips to pins
allows for added calving ease and draining after calving for a long breeding life.
I'll take function over style for real world application any day.

If you look at a picture of Water Buffalo you'll see an ugly sloping rump.
Definitely not stylish, because man has not tried to fix it.
Survival of the fittest under harsh conditions over a long period of time has deemed it best for them
without regard for 'eye appeal'.

I have a line of cows that have quite a large protruding tailhead, I don't particularly like it, I consider it a fault for prettyness, but they don't have any trouble calving, and make darned good calves, so I'm not going to worry myself about it... The one had a 130 lb calf unassisted (she's about 13-1400 lbs), the other is her daughter of last year who's a spitting image of her mother.. Grandma didn't have a big tailhead, but was about 30" across the hips.. she spat out 140 lb bulls in a couple minutes several times..she was about 1800 lbs when in good flesh.
Another line of cows has a very flat tailhead, it's completely "tucked" into the pins.. they have great calving ease as well, but don't push the envelope on weight like the others seem to do... There's no such thing as a perfect cow... and certainly not for all geographic areas... I do like pretty, but not if it means I have to pull calves... Same goes for high birthweights... as long as they can do it, heck, why not... The 130 lb'er this year is probably close to 500 lbs soon, and he's just turned 3 months.. Perhaps I'll weigh tape him tomorrow if I remember to.

a tailhead that is creeping up the back is a sign of lower fertility in a cow, there is a difference between that and what we call a baboon tail, the last just isn't pretty, but don't cause any problems that I've seen yet.

Knersie, you think you could post a picture of the first condition you mentioned, I'd like to see it to be able to better recognize it... The one I was speaking of is certainly a baboon tail!

High tailheads aren't desirable in the show ring either. A level hip is the goal, and a little hair is always left on the tailhead and squared up, but it's been a long time since the old Cadillac style fins have been in vogue.

Nesikep":1xq6ignc said:
Knersie, you think you could post a picture of the first condition you mentioned, I'd like to see it to be able to better recognize it... The one I was speaking of is certainly a baboon tail!

I'll try and take a pic next time I see it.

I've been wondering about this myself. Got a couple heifers that are certainly different. Don't know if anyone cares to comment on these photos.

From the hind view, I'd would prefer the build of the one on the right, not just for the tailset, but more for the meat she has over her back and butt... In the second picture I don't see it as much, but don't find the foreground one to have that big a tailhead...

Here's the one of mine I'd like a little less tail on... I think she'll make a good cow if she lives up to her mother or grandmother though
20140512_154639_zps3e696cc2.jpg

Nesikep":4jq3rnyf said:
From the hind view, I'd would prefer the build of the one on the right, not just for the tailset, but more for the meat she has over her back and butt... In the second picture I don't see it as much, but don't find the foreground one to have that big a tailhead...

The one on the right certainly has more meat, which would be good if I was going to butcher her, but unfortunately she eats much more than the other one.

djinwa":22zo8y1a said:
Nesikep":22zo8y1a said:

The one on the right certainly has more meat, which would be good if I was going to butcher her, but unfortunately she eats much more than the other one.

You'll have to see how they produce and hold condition.. Not eating much doesn't do you any good if she doesn't raise a decent calf or gets too skinny. Hope they both work well for you though, neither is bad looking to me

Latest posts