Tai and heat detection

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this protocol. this is what I want to do set up a tai (gnrh cidr 7 days PG shot pull cidr, heat detect until 60-66hrs ai but with no gnrh, set out for heat detect and see if any come in.

Hope that makes sense. Or is it foolishly wasteing semen without the shot of gnrh?

Or even if I give the shot of Gnrh will they show heat detection?

I use the 7 day CIDR and breed on heats that I observe. Any not found in heat, breed at recommended time. If any of them come in after TAI, I breed them again. But, I would definitely give the GNRH at timed breeding.

What you plan will work well and is basically what I use except I am allowed to use Oestrodial benzoate in lieu of the gnrh at insertion of the cidr. I think there is much debate as to the effectiveness of gnrh at the time of insemination but it does make people feel warm and fuzzy knowing they gave it.

Ken

i may be misunderstanding, but if you heat detect its not TAI. I do just as Jeanne. I would ask myself after i spent 14 dollars(cidr, gnrh, pg) am i gonna let 2 more dollars cost me a pregnancy?? Weather it makes you feel warm and fuzzy or not, its been used for many years, for me if they get a straw of semen they get gnrh, if they need it great, if not its a dose of water im willing to pay for.

The GNRH at insertion is basically for cows that "might" be cystic. If I have seen a heat prior to inserting the CIDR, I do NOT use GNRH at that time, but I always use it on any cows that we TAI (not the ones that come into heat).

Thanks for the input fellow cattlemen and women. I usually follow almost the same protocol but I almost always wait for visual on standing heat, also use the patch.

I did catch a couple with standing heat so they where ai'd before the 60hr mark. but the rest where given gnrh at the time of insemination. I think all where showing signs of heat mostly secondary signs. I felt pretty good about the ai'ing for the most part. had a bit of trouble with 2 a heifer(small curvy cervix) and an older cow and her cervix was deep. I was in hercervix for sure but not positive that I was all the way thru. Her first ring was huge but they got a little smaller afterthat then it felt like I hit a wall. so I am not sure about that one. ????

Latest posts