Tagging and re-tagging

Help Support CattleToday:

cowkeeper

Reaction score
Ia there a special tool for removing an old tag, or will some household tool do the job?
I have an AllFlex tagger. I could use some tips on getting the tag in without ripping the ear. Do you hold the ear, or will haltering the cow up tight work, so as to have both hands for the tagger? Thanks.

They do make a eartag remover. I haven't ever priced one but they cant be too much.

As for tagging the calf, I usually lay on the calf and hold its head down with my arms. There for I have one hand on the tagger and one hand holding the closest part of the ear to the head.

Most all the places that sell tags and tagging equipment around my part of the county also sell the "detagger". They're pretty cheap - around $5 bucks or so.

Pliers work if the animal is in the squeeze... of course the disposition of our herd and the easy working helps considerably.

Thanks, I'll use the side cutters :)
Dont have chute or headgate but the cows are quiet. These are not calves. I've ripped a couple of ears, where I thought I had the cow tied tight enough, she groaned and sagged down and it tore right out. Don't want to repeat that :(

a tag knife is 3-4 dollars. if you order tags from valley vet, they send one free. i have 2 0r 3 around

If you are tearing a lot of ears when tagging, you may want to try the "Z tags". They are a one piece tag and the tagger is similar to the Allflex but has a break away pin that will kick out if the animal jerks (once it has pierced the ear). We have and use both styles. The Z tags, although a one piece, still stay in the ear quite well and have some that have been in several years (to where we can hardly read the hand written numbers). We also bought the auto retracting pin tagger for the Allflex tags. This works pretty good too, but will make a loud click. I have smaller hands, so it is harder for me to use (and heavier) and won't fit in your back pocket. We also don't re-use ear holes for retagging - they typically don't stay in as the hole is usually enlarged (often why the original tag fell out).

We have one of those tag remover tools too - they work well.