T. Rex related to chicken

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullbuyer

Reaction score
I just read on one of these news sites that scientists have determined through protein testing that the giant dinosaur, T. Rex, is realted to chickens.
I hope everyone realizes the importance of this astonishing discovery. This relationship explains why everything tastes like chicken! Can't wait to get some of them T. Rex legs on the grill!!

I butchered some Cornish Roasters a couple weeks ago that dressed 7-8 pounds at 8 weeks old. The brochures all said they would dress in the 4-6 pound range. How cow what a big bird. Maybe they are related.

Oh, these were the roosters. I am doing the hens in the morning. The hens are 10 weeks old and I guess will dress in the 6-7 pound range.

Green Creek":138yia7y said:
Crowderfarms":138yia7y said:
dun":138yia7y said:
Does anyone still caponize their roosters?

dun
What's that Dun? A new McCormick seasoning? :shock:

Let's face it Dun, we know words the youngsters never heard of! And vice versa, I am sure.

Don't they sell Capons in the stores any more?
We used to use some kind of hormone to caponize them. You implanted a little piece of treated material under the skin in the leg. It looked like a 1/4 inch long wooden match stick sharpened at one end.
Th ones that were sold in the store were surgically done.

Used to be some Koreans (I think they were) that worked for a friend of mine that owned "Smiths Pride" chicken company in B'Ham, Al.

Anyway, they sexed the little chicks and caponized/castrated the roosters at one day of age.

Imagine doing that to 20,000 chicks per day.......... :roll:

MikeC":3qgzyt6l said:
Used to be some Koreans (I think they were) that worked for a friend of mine that owned "Smiths Pride" chicken company in B'Ham, Al.

Anyway, they sexed the little chicks and caponized/castrated the roosters at one day of age.

Here, there was an 2 asian brothers that sexed peeps for a living when I was a mere slip of a lass...they did very well financially...

Alice

Alice":17mpy7um said:
MikeC":17mpy7um said:

Here, there was an 2 asian brothers that sexed peeps for a living when I was a mere slip of a lass...they did very well financially...

Alice

I think I heard bout them two boys...

Sum Yung Chick and his brother

Peep Ying Tom.

Crowderfarms":276jal9w said:
Alice":276jal9w said:
MikeC":276jal9w said:

Alice

Peep Ying Tom.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Crowder you are a mess! Anybody ever tell you that?

Crowderfarms":58u9hzvw said:
Alice":58u9hzvw said:
MikeC":58u9hzvw said:

Alice

Peep Ying Tom.

I can only speak for myself, but LMAO!!!

The Japanese discovered or invented how to sex chicks. More than likley those folks are Japanese. We are pretty smart folks and can build a damn good automobile. Don't you folks ever watch dirty jobs?

Walt

Haven't seen a capon in the grocery store for years. But the guy who wrote this is a very interesting man:

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/articl ... izing.html

He lives not far from us, and I met him when he was part of our rare breeds exhibit at a local fair a couple of years ago. Harvey is referred to as "The Chicken Man of Hume," he's fascinating to talk to, really knows his poultry. He's the guy who gave me the idea of getting a bantam to set on guinea eggs.

I know a few of the boys around here that have become "capons" :p :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just wondering but is it worth the effort to 'steer' a chicken in the first place? I'd say one of them T. Rex sized chickens would be a whole lot easier to work on, probably rough on a head gate though.

Bullbuyer":23fyt55i said:
Just wondering but is it worth the effort to 'steer' a chicken in the first place?

Only if you want them to grow bigger for the freezer. If you don't caponize them, you have to butcher them earlier before the meat starts to get tough and dark from their sex hormones; plus, they won't have as much meat (although still good for stewin'!). If you caponize them, though, they grow meatier and you can fatten 'em up longer ... and they actually look more like a pullet (uh, female for those that don't know).

Still don't know too many people that do it anymore. We butcher the cockerels at about 4 to 6 months, depending on the size, instead of going to all the work to caponize them and using more feed to fatten them up.

USMCRanchGirl":3pz6irxb said:
Still don't know too many people that do it anymore. We butcher the cockerels at about 4 to 6 months, depending on the size, instead of going to all the work to caponize them and using more feed to fatten them up.

I butchered my cockerels at 8 weeks and the pullets at 10 weeks :lol:

Latest posts