T Posts

Help Support CattleToday:

curtis

Reaction score
Where's the best place to buy T Posts? TS wants $4.29 each plus taxes, seems high to me. What are they going for in your area?

Price depends on Length. Also, the better 1.33# per foot posts are heavier and cost more than the 1.25# per foot posts. Also can depend on who you buy them from and how many you buy.

Other than the "Mass Merchandisers" you can usually get a discount if you buy a full pallet of posts (N = 400) so they can load them onto your trailer with a fork lift without using people labor.

With barb wire, can also usually get a discount for a full pallet of wire (N = 32 rolls).

Just make sure your trailer can support those pallet weights.

curtis":x0a7w6ic said:
Where's the best place to buy T Posts? TS wants $4.29 each plus taxes, seems high to me. What are they going for in your area?

We own a plant in Magnolia. I might could arrange it if you are willing to pick them up. Price I paid for seconds (not perfect T-post) is about $2.4 per. I think I bought 1-2,000 and put them on a one ton truck and drove 50 miles.

6 1/2 footers were running from $4.79 up to $8.49 here a few weeks ago depending on where you ask.

Something u might consider, I have been using landscape timbers for posts for years. Their treated, and depending on your ground u can push em into the ground with ur front end loader.. Whats even better u can find em on sale for 2.50 or cheaper...Just a thought. I still use regular fence posts for the corners

I put lanscape timbers around everything 8 years ago @ 1.89 each, includeing corner posts and braces. Fences is for cattle and horses, and it holding up very well. Pushed the posts into the ground with a skidloader. no barbed wire though. I would be in devorce court. LOL Electric all around.

I think the problem with landscape timbers is that the CCA treatment they use to get was discontinued in 2002 or 2003. Since timbers are used around the home the epa eliminated the use of CCA (the A is for arsenic) for stuff normally used there like decking boards. Some people believe the new treatments are not as affective as the old way. You can still use CCA on fence post designed for the farm.
I also have had problems with timbers warping after a while and not looking so hot when i drive by. I think timbers would still be ok for brace posts that do not touch the ground. I also have heard that timbers are often treated before they are completely dry and make not "take" the treatment completely.

Douglas":ml8bp7vo said:
I think the problem with landscape timbers is that the CCA treatment they use to get was discontinued in 2002 or 2003. Since timbers are used around the home the epa eliminated the use of CCA (the A is for arsenic) for stuff normally used there like decking boards. Some people believe the new treatments are not as affective as the old way. You can still use CCA on fence post designed for the farm.
I also have had problems with timbers warping after a while and not looking so hot when i drive by. I think timbers would still be ok for brace posts that do not touch the ground. I also have heard that timbers are often treated before they are completely dry and make not "take" the treatment completely.

You are right Douglas. The new formula that is used in treated lumber was implemented to get rid of the use of arsenic in the chromated copper arsenate (CCA)type . Taking CCA's place as a preservative are two waterborne compounds: alkaline copper quat (ACQ types B and D) and copper azole (CBA-A, CA-B). The down side is that the new treatment chemicals are allot more corrosive and will cause premature failure of any fasteners so if your staples, screws, nails etc. are not at least of a Class 55 zinc plating then they will fail sooner than later. That could be a safety issue with tensioned barbed wire in my book.

curtis":ityodj2i said:
Where's the best place to buy T Posts? TS wants $4.29 each plus taxes, seems high to me.

T post prices went crazy last year just like potash. Now 60% of the US steel industry is shut down in an effort to keep prices up. Six foot T post prices have been coming down slowly, and $3.99 on sale was the lowest price I have seen in 2009. Our local farm store has a big inventory and is trying to sell for $4.99 :( Auction price on used T posts is running $1 to $3 each.

My experience is that landscape timbers have a shorter life than real wood fence posts, and wood fence posts have a shorter life than steel posts. I would not use landscape timbers except in a desert.

Steve,

Where did you find 6' T-posts for $3.99? I need to buy a couple hundred and the cheapest I found were $4.65.

Thanks,
Chris

I just did high tensile and used all wood post. I did 4"-5" post on 15' centers. My line post cost $ 5.25! No way would I take T-Post over wood posts for anywhere close to same money. Wood post look good for 20 yrs, T-Post look good for 2! I bought 15 bundles for the discounted price.

Latest posts