T-85 Project Update

Help Support CattleToday:

GRTiger85

Reaction score
Grass was sprigged 1st part of April, Doing pretty good for the most part. Here is how it progressed.

Day 8 after some rain.
t85.jpg

Day 22
t3.jpg

These were taken Yesterday 6-4-10
t5.jpg

t2.jpg

Looks like you got it whipped. :tiphat: Now what are you going to do with all the forage? Graze or hay it?

Looks great. How tall is it now? Will you be able to graze this year without it being pulled up by cattle?
I sprigged 25 acres last year in May, turned hot and dry and lost the stand. Was ready to sprig by end of April this year but dry again and never sprigged. I have only had about 1 inch of rain in the past 2 months. Guess I will plant in Elbon this fall and try again next year.

I think that is the best option. Cutting it close will encourage it to spread into the weaker spots. If possible, after you hay it, it would help it to cut the runners with a grain drill or a hay king. I imagine you should get another cutting or possibly two off it this year but next year your production should to be fantastic.

I meant to post these awhile back, just havnt had the time. Pictures of first cutting on the field.

Layed Down

cut1.jpg

cut2.jpg

cut.jpg

Raked up, made some pretty good windrows.

raked2.jpg

raked.jpg

raked3.jpg

Baling. Made 170 rolls on 45 acres
baler2.jpg

bale1.jpg

bales.jpg

If the rain would quit missing us it would be looking alot better. Hopefully we will get some. As far as the weed control, we didnt keep them all out, it had a few here and there, also had some grassburs in spots but we will take care of those next year. When the weeds were still small I hit the field with some dilluted down Grazon Next. It killled most of the weeds and didnt stunt the grass any. If you let the weeds get much maturity at all tho it wont work.

Latest posts