Syringe use?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Does everyone use disposable syringes once and trash or reuse? If you where to reuse it and needle what is the best way to clean? Some one told me to wash them out with 180 degree water. Guess I am just a tight was trying to save a little.

we dont reuse needles at .02 cents each its better to be safe than sorry

Gotta agree with both WORANCH and Campground.
At two cents each you give 500 vaccinations for $10.00.
How long will it take to give 500 vaccinations?

Hay La & WOranch can you send me an order of needles. Around here they are 20-30 cents each!!!! :lol: Still agree though it isn't worth reusing them.

ffscj":kzp1us19 said:
RR,

Are the needles that expensive or is that syringes with needles included?

Disposable needles with the aluminum hubs are about .18 to .20 for a 16 ga when you buy a box. I think the ones with the plastic hubs are about .15.

Double R Ranch":1epcqvc8 said:
Hay La & WOranch can you send me an order of needles. Around here they are 20-30 cents each!!!! :lol: Still agree though it isn't worth reusing them.

LM-AA-100 Disposable Needles (Box of 100) $6.49

OK .065 cents ea. ---- better than .20-.30 cents

WORANCH":56y64l16 said:
Double R Ranch":56y64l16 said:

What size are those and where do you get'em, WO.

Texan":1aomrqji said:
WORANCH":1aomrqji said:
Double R Ranch":1aomrqji said:

What size are those and where do you get'em, WO.

18 ga. x 1 1/2" Jeffers vet supply.............

I wouldn't reuse the needles, but I have reused the syringe. Both my vet and local feed store said it was okay. I boiled them after the each use. I figure I got about 5-7 uses out of each one before I felt the plunger giving me fits. Our vet reuses his syringes, but he has them washed out and autoclaved.

For one thing it is just to risky

I use a syringe up to 10 times or so if I am doing a large set of vaccines and I don't get flash in the syringe. ie. blood in the hub of where the needle connects to the syringe, only use needle once, period, if I get a flash, then I toss it and get a new one, you only get a flash with IM injections not SQ, you can run a whole batch through with one syringe if you have no trouble with the plunger

And Jeffers of Valley Vet is the cheapest source to purchase this stuff, you can do it online and make a shoping list, so each time it is quick and less time consuming

It's been established not to use the needle more than once, besides the other answers which I agree with, the needle dulls too much after only one injection, try to use it again and it causes more pain to the animal and creates more a rodeo during shot. (I also use a small guage needle for vaccines 25 or so, can't do it with pen and other thicker anti-biotics).

Use the syringe once, then wash with soap and water and lightly boil in water for next use. In other words don't draw up a vaccine and give it to one cow and then draw up a second vaccine for next cow in the same syringe. You'll contaminate the bottle of vaccine and risk infecting the rest of the cattle. The rubber seal on the syringe starts to break down after 10 or 12 boils. My vet also reuses his syringes (auto clave), We also will draw up all vaccine we need at once with one needle (for each vaccine) and then put a fresh needle on each syringe, if we need to shoot 10 head of cattle with one type of vaccine we use 11 needles.

Alan

i realize the question asked about disposable syringes, but my answer for the needle would be the same. we use a syringe like the one pictured below. it can be set for automatic dosage from 1-5ml. we'll use the same syringe all day when vaccinating calves & change out needles as needed. we do not change out the needles for every calf. i've seen vets do the same thing with disposable syringes & needles as well. in the morning they'll open up new syringes & needles & put them in the bottle of vaccine & use it until the needle dulls.

DialOMatic.jpg

We've never been that particular. For many years we used the old glass and metal style. We would wash them with soap and warm water at the end of the day. They looked much like texag's picture but without the grip. Now it's all plastic and disposable. For vaccinating we use the same syringe and needle all day long, or until it gets dull, stepped on, falls into fresh crap, etc. If doctoring a sick calf I change to a clean needle and syringe.

Craig-TX

a friend of mine was giving blackleg shots ,one calf had blackleg. he used the same needle on the next 4 calves, he lost all 5 head .... it would of been alot cheeper to change needles........................ :(

WORANCH":19wbnt0q said:
a friend of mine was giving blackleg shots ,one calf had blackleg. he used the same needle on the next 4 calves, he lost all 5 head .... it would of been alot cheeper to change needles........................ :(

Since he didn't get around to vaccinating until one of his calves had already contracted Blackleg it's a long shot to blame the needle. The others probably already had it. He should have quarantined that calf, or put it down, the moment he suspected Blackleg. And, like I said above, he shouldn't have used the same needle to doctor a sick calf and vaccinate others.

Craig-TX

This will probably get me in trouble,
I use one needle per vaccine when working my cattle.[wormer, blackleg/pinkeye, respit. and so on]
I just stick a new needle in the bottle when starting and use it for that vaccine for everything I shoot that day...Then throw away.
I figure they live together and they share everything else,
I've also seen my vet do the same thing.
I would not reuse needles on sick cattle.
Hillbilly

Latest posts