Synching Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

rockcreekfarm

Reaction score
I have 10 black baldie heifers that I am going to breed A.I the beginning of june. I have always just bred heifers on there natural cycle and I have never messed with synching any. I was wandering what is the best way to synch 10? I thought about just using lute and watching for heats but a friend of mine said to do timed A.I on them with cidrs. What is the best way to bring them in heat?

rock creek,

I use a 9 day protocol on heifers (you can look it up on ABS's web site). I usually start on a Saturday at 10 a.m. with a shot of Cystorellin and inserting the CIDR. On the following Saturday at 10 a.m. I remove the CIDR and administer a shot of Lutalyse. On Monday evening about 5pm I breed tham and administer another shot of Cystorellin. I have had about an 80% average success rate with this method on heifers. I try to be "Johnny on the spot" with the shots. The more timely I am the better the success rate.

I have a guy A.I.ing my 9 heifers right now. What he is doing is a 10 day process,he gave me patches to put on them for the first five days and breeding the ones that come in.Then after that five days is up,he'll give them a shot I assume of Lute, then the rest should come in the next 5 days. This is new to me so, if you all have some input on how he is doing this I'm all ears. Right now we are on the fourth day after patches and bred 2 on day 2.

Any body done the 14 day CIDR with mass breed? Im thinking about trying it on heiffers and cows. Its not recomended, but have talked to some about the cow side. If you wait till 72 hrs., it works well. Heard a bit the other way. Just courious.