Synching Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

buckisimmraiser

New member
Joined
Apr 24, 2013
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
SE OH
I had five cows that I pulled CIDRs on last Wednesday (4/17). None came into heat and I opted not to time breed them- one is being set up as a recip. When would be the best time to give a shot of Lut to see if I can get an observed heat? Should I wait a couple weeks and do the CIDR protocol again. All of these cows are 45 past calving when the synch was being done. They have had access to hay and free choice 16:8 minerals and now Hi Mag minerals due to the pastures greening up.
I am trying to move my calving up by a couple weeks for 2013.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
 

Kscattle

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 21, 2011
Messages
274
Reaction score
0
Location
Ne Kansas
Which protocol did you use? I'm think maybe you missed a step/shot or something or your pushing the breeding date too close to calving. I've had trouble with the lute not working and switched to estrumate, that seemed to help. We need more info to come up with an answer
 

bob1984

New member
Joined
Apr 24, 2013
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Do you have an iPhone? There is an APP called 'bovine estrus' on the app store that can walk you through the estrus synch programs.
Hope this helps.
 
OP
buckisimmraiser

buckisimmraiser

New member
Joined
Apr 24, 2013
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
SE OH
Here's what I did:
April 10th: Shot of GNRH and inserted CIDRs
April 17th: Pulled CIDRs shot of Lut
Observed from the 18th-21st, no response.
Cows calved from Feb. 24th-Mar. 3rd that I was setting up.

Talked with my embryologist this morning, he said protocol seemed fine. That I can follow up on day 11 with another shot of lut or wait a couple weeks and then do a shot of GNRH, a week later do Lut then watch with or without CIDRs. The only thing different that I did this year versus last year was washing the applicator in warm soapy water between cows.

I do not have an iPhone, I have a droid.

Thanks for your help!
 

Lucky_P

Well-known member
Joined
May 21, 2009
Messages
3,441
Reaction score
518
Location
Western KY
Hmm. Cutting it pretty close.
I never try synching cows less than 45 days out from calving; prefer 'em to be at least 60 days out.
I'm wondering if they just hadn't 'recovered' enough to get a good estrus out of 'em.
I might be inclined to, next time, set 'em up for a 5-day CIDR run with GnRH at insertion, with two shots of Estrumate - 1 when you pull 'em, the second 8-12 hrs later.
 

muleskinner

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 13, 2012
Messages
117
Reaction score
0
Location
WV
I would say to soon after calving. I have had better luck in moving my calving forward by turning the bull out earlier. Rather than using AI. Also did the drought get you some last year. Just my 2 cents.
 
OP
buckisimmraiser

buckisimmraiser

New member
Joined
Apr 24, 2013
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
SE OH
I wouldn't say we were bone dry as a lot of places, it was hot- over 100 degrees for multiple days. I think this weekend should be days 17-21 after the original pulling of CIDRs. I'll keep watch and hopefully get some to come into heat.
Thanks everyone for their help and suggestions!
 

Latest posts

Top