Synching again I have questions

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I posted a question a few days ago, trying to save a synching problem. Now I'm to the point I need to re synch a couple of cows. Any problems synching a cow 5 days out of heat after using a CIDR, GnRH shots and lute to induce the first heat? I will use a Cidr, GnRH (x2) and Lute top induce the second heat.

Thanks,
Alan

Alan":33zeki1x said:
I posted a question a few days ago, trying to save a synching problem. Now I'm to the point I need to re synch a couple of cows. Any problems synching a cow 5 days out of heat after using a CIDR, GnRH shots and lute to induce the first heat? I will use a Cidr, GnRH (x2) and Lute top induce the second heat.

Thanks,
Alan

Why not just catch her in the next 12 -16 days on a natural heat. We Use CIDR's too, but we:

Day 1 2cc Cystorellin and put CIDR in
Day7 Lutalyse and Pull CIDR
Detect heat and Breed on am/pm rule
If no heat is seen by hour 80 breed them anyway (Normally have 50% conception rate on these that dont show heat during the 80-hr period)

The key here is the cystorellin because you activate the Corpus Lutem if the cow is cystic and if you don't use it and she is cystic you have just wasted your time

KNERSIE":eob84z1o said:
Why not just give a shot of Estrumate and stick a Kamar on her back?

she is about 5 days over the 60 +/- 6 AI her point. How soon should she come back into heat using the Estrumate shot?

Thanks Harley,
Alan

edrsimms":2dz9iliv said:
Why not just catch her in the next 12 -16 days on a natural heat.

I'm under the impression the cow will cycle on a normal cycle the following month which is 21 days. Does that put her in standing heat at around 12 to 16 days and 5 to 9 days comming out to restart the cycle? Thanks for the help and the education.

Alan

Alan":p1xvyd7y said:
KNERSIE":p1xvyd7y said:
Why not just give a shot of Estrumate and stick a Kamar on her back?

she is about 5 days over the 60 +/- 6 AI her point. How soon should she come back into heat using the Estrumate shot?

Thanks Harley,
Alan

Wait another day and give the estrumate and she'll be in heat on average between 66 and 84 hours. I usually put a Kamar on and heat detect from 48 hours onwards. If the semen isn't too expensive you can also AI her blindly at 72 and at 96 hours after the shot, but nothing beats heat detection and using the am/pm rule.

If you are unsure if she cycled at all and your AI course is still fresh enough in your memory you can palpate the ovaries and feel for the corpus luteum. You should easily detect that and if you can't feel one the estrumate won't do any good.

I guess I'm lost...why are you re-synching a cow that was in heat 5 days ago?

If she was supposed to be in 5 days ago and you didn't catch her, you will want to palpate the ovaries as Knersie said. If she is not cycling you would be wasting the Estrumate.

If she is not cycling, then you can start the GnRH/CIDR protocol today without a problem, but you are still hoping that the GnRH and CIDR will jumpstart her cycle.

Latest posts