Synch smart

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
CRI Releases Industry's First Sire Evaluation for Conception in Synch Programs

SHAWANO, Wis. - With the February sire summaries, Cooperative Resources International (CRI) reveals a ground-breaking sire conception evaluation. CRI SynchSmartTM is the new, revolutionary reproductive management tool ranking sires for their conception ability in synchronized females, or females given hormonal treatments to induce ovulation.

"Most herds in the U.S. now implement some method of synchronization," states Dr. Milo Wiltbank, professor of dairy science at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. "It would be very useful for those herds to know and utilize bulls which perform well in synch protocols."

The SynchSmart evaluation, available only through CRI, shows the expected difference in a sire's conception performance. SynchSmart values indicate the expected change in conception rate when using a particular sire on synchronized females. For example, semen from a sire at +3.0 SynchSmart is expected to conceive three percent more often in a timed A.I. program than a sire at +0.0 SynchSmart. Currently, CRI active sires range in SynchSmart values from +3.0 to -1.5.

A one percent increase in conception rate leads to decreased days open and increased pregnancies. CRI research shows each one point increase in SynchSmart or one percent increase in conception rate is worth $5 per semen unit purchased. For example, if considering between two bulls that are equivalent in genetic merit, assume that a straw of semen from a bull with a +2.0 SynchSmart ranking is worth $5 more than a straw from a bull with a +1.0 SynchSmart ranking.

SynchSmart evaluations are the result of real breedings which have shown real differences between sires.

"For years, we have heard dairy managers say the conception abilities of bulls used in synch programs have differed from ERCR evaluations," comments Doug Wilson, CRI Chief Executive Officer. "While some have attempted to identify synchronization sires in the lab, we have learned laboratory tests can not rank sire fertility. The true measure of fertility can only be found through actually breeding the cows."

Daily, over 400 CRI inseminators in the U.S. record a total of about 5,000 breedings, and each breeding record is included in the cooperative's extensive reproductive data set. This powerful database allows innovative, proprietary statistical models to be used to evaluate and rank sires.

From this database of CRI inseminations, CRI Research Geneticist Dr. Gamal Abdel-Azim evaluated 1.6 million services by breeding method (timed artificial insemination or non-timed A.I.) to statistically determine sire values for SynchSmart. The difference in fertility ranking was found to be very significant.

The results of the SynchSmart ranking were confirmed through analysis of actual breedings recorded in on-farm management systems. Statistical analysis of CRI breeding records and analysis of actual breedings on the farm were consistent and confirm that higher SynchSmart bulls create more pregnancies when used on synchronized females.

The CRI SynchSmart evaluations will be released with the sire summaries on February 12. Evaluations will be available for all active sires with 300 or more inseminations to synchronized females conducted and recorded by CRI technicians.

While all CRI sires are procured with producer profitability in mind, SynchSmart sires now offer members and customers using synchronization programs another option to improve their bottom lines.

This is something that does not sound logical.
What diference is there between semen, other than count, that would give one bull an advantage over another?

novatech":27z5m5s9 said:
This is something that does not sound logical.
What diference is there between semen, other than count, that would give one bull an advantage over another?

Sounded bogus to me too. The only thing I can think of is that soome bulls sperm lives longer then other bulls sperm. Or possibly they've found a way to keep it alive longer. It would almost have to be, in my mind, an issue of sperm live span.

dun

What about the human error equation of their research. Im sorry, I just dont see it.

3MR":1zxcyao3 said:
What about the human error equation of their research. Im sorry, I just dont see it.

Makes good sales propoganda though

Latest posts