Swollen Rectum, what can it be?

Help Support CattleToday:

amandalee

Reaction score
I have a 16 month old Chianina show heifer. I noticed today that she is swollen from her tail head down to her rectum, not including her vagina. I'm worried but I have no idea what it could be. If you have any clue please let me know.
Thanks
Amanda

Have you recently had her TB tested? Or was blood drawn from the underside of her tail recently?

Could she be prolapsing? Has she been bulling? That puts alot of strain on some. Or could it just be fat around the tail head?

That weird one of my old cows has the same thing. First it was big and red but now it is dark.We thought that is was an abscess. We would take her to the vet but we are going to sell her in a couple weeks.She is pretty old.

If this is a show heifer, and she is on lots of show feed she may be putting on a lot of fat around her tail head,

Palpate the area with the tips of your fingers, using a finger, press gently to depress the tissue, if it pops back up easily it may be fat, if it leaves depressions, this is pitting adema, and can be from a spider bite, bee sting, strange reaction to bedding, etc

Latest posts