Swollen Navel

Help Support CattleToday:

krusader

Reaction score
I have some bull calves that I've decided to keep until next year. About a month ago I put bands on them to make them steers and seperated them from their mommas. I've noticed one of the calves has a swollen navel now. What causes this and what can be done? Is it harmful? I know their has too be a deduction on selling it.

Welcome to the Boards! My experience with swollen navels in calves of that age is that you will find him dead one day. But, maybe in your case its got something to do with the banding. I believe in knife cutting (no anesthesia, Bill ;-) ). Maybe some of the banders will have some input to tell you if it might be related.

krusader":1ylgesrq said:
I have some bull calves that I've decided to keep until next year. About a month ago I put bands on them to make them steers and seperated them from their mommas. I've noticed one of the calves has a swollen navel now. What causes this and what can be done? Is it harmful? I know their has too be a deduction on selling it.
I am going to take a beating here for practicing without a liscense but me and a neighbor took a 250 lb calf put a walking w on her and laid her down. Took a pocket knife and lanced her navel, squeezed the pus out , iodined it and let her go. Turned out fine.No anesthesia Bill.

krusader":1b7y3c88 said:

i had one with a swollen navel a couple of months back and got some good responses on it when i posted a question about it on these boards.

what i did to him was.. gave him about 10 cc of penicillin every day for about a week and then cut back to about every day and a half for another week or so..

for the first few days (until there was no more pus, about 2-3 days)i stuck a needle into the bottom of the navel cord and squeezed the puss out. i then soaked the cord in warm salt water for about 2 minutes if he would let me make it that long.

he recovered just fine.

good luck with yours

jt

Did you give them tetnus shots at banding? The calf I had this spring had Navel infection, vet gave it Nuflour, with a second dose a few days later. He had swollen joints, and a big, hard navel. Turned out fine. I am not brave enough to operate myself!

Latest posts