Swollen Brisket

Help Support CattleToday:

Josh281

Reaction score
I have a 500# heifer calf that has a swollen brisket. She is experiencing a cough while lying down. I felt this area and found the swollen area to be a hard lump. I'm hoping it isn't hardware. Any ideas?

Welcome to the boards Josh... There are a couple of conditions that could cause swelling of the brisket. The most common is hardware disease. This is caused by ingesting some form of metal, usually a nail, screw, or piece of wire. The metal settles in the reticulum and eventually penetrates the reticular wall and diaphragm, The rumen contractions eventually cause it to progress until it begins to irritate the sac around the heart. I would strongly recommend having a vet check this heifer out. If caught early enough, there are some things that can help improve the situation. A rumen magnet can help pull the metal back into the reticulum and relieve the irritation to the heart. Anti inflammatories and antibiotics will also be required.

I hope this is helpful, and good luck.

Unfortunately I also agree it sounds like hardware. A magnet is your best bet but "hardware" is a relative term; it can also be caused by any sharp object such as a shard of glass, sharp rock, plastic, etc. Uncommon but possible for the magnet to pass. Lost a great cow to hardware not long ago & all my cows, bulls & retained heifers have a magnet. Is she laying down a lot? And on her sternum, head slightly elevated (makes it easier to breathe)? Any drooling/potential mouth sores and is she still eating/drinking? Normal poo? Coughing is typical. Temp is generally normal. Does her brisket look similar to my cow below? I'd definitely get her to your vet. He/she can listen to her heart & lungs, feel the brisket for an accurate diagnosis. Good luck & please keep us updated!
huntington bank branch near me

Latest posts