Swollen Brisket in Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

farfieldsfarm

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a 3 month old Hereford calf with a firm (not-rock hard) softball sized lump in her brisket.
I have googled and found that there is a brisket disease caused by high altitudes, however, we do not live above 1000 ft...so I don't think that is the problem.
Any thoughts or suggestions on what this could be?
Thanks in advance.

It sounds more like an abcess than anything. Probably be best to lance it to get the pus out...

now it could also be hardware diease.meaning the calf couldve ate so wire or steel slivers.id put a magnet down him.

Oh it was an absess and what an absess.
I went out to the barn with a syringe with the intention of lancing it. I grabbed hold of her brisket to get ready - and the absess ruptured on its own -- just from me touching it. It was seriously nasty, and produced about a bucket's worth of cottage cheeseish, nasty-smelling pus.
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

farfieldsfarm":2dy4z55x said:
Oh it was an absess and what an absess.
I went out to the barn with a syringe with the intention of lancing it. I grabbed hold of her brisket to get ready - and the absess ruptured on its own -- just from me touching it. It was seriously nasty, and produced about a bucket's worth of cottage cheeseish, nasty-smelling pus.
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

Yuck. :eek: Make sure you get the wound flushed out with some antiseptic (NOT antibiotic) mixed with warm water (should say directions on the bottle) and with some sort of pump, get that area flushed and cleaned out completely so it don't become infected again. And do just do this once either; a few times a week will help until the wound shows signs of healing up. You could maybe give her some LA200 too just for precaution...

Hi everyone,

I have a 3 month old Hereford calf with a firm (not-rock hard) softball sized lump in her brisket.
I have googled and found that there is a brisket disease caused by high altitudes, however, we do not live above 1000 ft...so I don't think that is the problem.
Any thoughts or suggestions on what this could be?
Thanks in advance.
I've noticed that when the feed is strong, my cows get very large briskets as a place where fat accumulates. Some visitors have been alarmed by this, but it's quite normal. Just something to keep in mind, while you're figuring out the problem.

Latest posts