Swollen Brisket/Down Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Jay

Reaction score
The neighboring pastured cows (note: absentee owners--I might see them once every 3 months) had a swollen brisket area (dewflap?) last week. It looked like a big football inbetween & just infront of her front legs. I could tell it was liquidy because it'd move around when she walked like 1/2 set jello. Well today I noticed she was laying in the same spot as yesterday so I walked waaaay out in their pasture to take a look at her. She has been laying there for at least a couple of days; she has pooped & pee'd quite a bit there & can't get up. The area between her front legs is bigger (swollen), she has crustys on her eyes & alot in/on her nose...the inside of her legs (all 4) are watery feeling. Here's the odd part...her anus (almost looks like the start of a anal prolapse) & vulva are red, puffy & don't look too good.
I am pretty sure she is bred, so I don't think the bull over did his job. She is an older tiger-striped (Brahma cross) cow. Anyone have any ideas of what it could be? Snakebite? Infection? Disease? Old age?? I noticed that one of their other (younger) cows' is swollen a bit inbetween her front legs, too. (I think it's called the dewflap, but I'm not sure....)
These folks only come out when I call them to let them know they have a down cow. This will be the 3rd one in the last year. One recovered with a gimp (and will probably die calving--her hip is messed up), one they actually loaded up & it died about a week later & now this one. She won't drink any water, I took a small bucket out to her. I know she will be coyote food before they ever get around to doing anything about her. I am just curious as to what is wrong with her....I'm not too thrilled that my cow & steer might 'catch' something. :(

I'll try to keep this simple so that it's easily understood. call the vet

dun

These people doctor & diagnose their own stuff. Their philosophy is: it'll either get better or die. Period. The cow was having a hard time holding her head up yesterday eve, so I highly doubt if she made it thru the nite.
I was just curious as to what caused the swelling, etc.

Jay":1114fbno said:
The neighboring pastured cows (note: absentee owners--I might see them once every 3 months) had a swollen brisket area (dewflap?) last week. It looked like a big football inbetween & just infront of her front legs. I could tell it was liquidy because it'd move around when she walked like 1/2 set jello. Well today I noticed she was laying in the same spot as yesterday so I walked waaaay out in their pasture to take a look at her. She has been laying there for at least a couple of days; she has pooped & pee'd quite a bit there & can't get up. The area between her front legs is bigger (swollen), she has crustys on her eyes & alot in/on her nose...the inside of her legs (all 4) are watery feeling. Here's the odd part...her anus (almost looks like the start of a anal prolapse) & vulva are red, puffy & don't look too good.
I am pretty sure she is bred, so I don't think the bull over did his job. She is an older tiger-striped (Brahma cross) cow. Anyone have any ideas of what it could be? Snakebite? Infection? Disease? Old age?? I noticed that one of their other (younger) cows' is swollen a bit inbetween her front legs, too. (I think it's called the dewflap, but I'm not sure....)
These folks only come out when I call them to let them know they have a down cow. This will be the 3rd one in the last year. One recovered with a gimp (and will probably die calving--her hip is messed up), one they actually loaded up & it died about a week later & now this one. She won't drink any water, I took a small bucket out to her. I know she will be coyote food before they ever get around to doing anything about her. I am just curious as to what is wrong with her....I'm not too thrilled that my cow & steer might 'catch' something. :(

My first thought was snakebite. You are in Rattlesnake country.

Jay":9q7ghihn said:
These people doctor & diagnose their own stuff. Their philosophy is: it'll either get better or die. Period. The cow was having a hard time holding her head up yesterday eve, so I highly doubt if she made it thru the nite.
I was just curious as to what caused the swelling, etc.

a little off-topic, but people like that shouldn't be allowed to have cattle. if you're not going to check on them or take care of them when something's wrong then you shouldn't have them! :x

txag":2jprv3wm said:
a little off-topic, but people like that shouldn't be allowed to have cattle. if you're not going to check on them or take care of them when something's wrong then you shouldn't have them! :x

Thank you! I couldn't agree more. These are the situations that peta has a field day with

dun

dun":28uk75ie said:
txag":28uk75ie said:

Thank you! I couldn't agree more. These are the situations that peta has a field day with

dun
My sentiments ***exactly***!! Cow was dead this morning--still no sign of the people that own the cows. Actually I'd of been more surprised if they would of showed up the day I called them. They had talked about giving up their lease this next spring & sell all their cattle. Lord I hope so. I don't mind keeping an eye on them, (like if they got out or something like that) BUT I don't own them, so I don't call the shots. Earlier this summer I'd called them & told them that a calf was missing. They showed up a week later & found their bull & another across the fence had been fighting & messed up the fence. The ONLY reason why they came out to look was because another neighbor loaded up his angus weaners & there was a white month old calf in with them. They knew basically who had the Charlois bull in the neighborhood.... :roll: They wouldn't of had any clue that it was their calf if I hadn't of said anything. It goes on & on & on.....I just feel for the cows...they are the ones who get the short end of the stick. :(

Jay

I would,nt mind a few minutes alone with your neighbour. can,t stand anybody that will let stock suffer..... :mad: :mad: .there is no excuse for that type of abuse........

On the first topic, we had a cow swell up last summer just like you were describing. Looked like she had a football in her brisket. Our first thought was pulmonary edema brought on by heat stress, but the vet said that was fairly rare down here, that it was most likely snake bite. He said to watch her closely for any changes and if we noticed any, to bring her in asap. We monitored her closely for the next 2 weeks, and she seemed fine other than that big football in her brisket. She'd eat, head butt other cows, nurse and lick her calf, all was well. The swelling went down after about 4 weeks, so we guessed it was a snake bite. Hopefully she won't do the same thing this summer!

On the topic about no show neighbors, 2 of our neighbors calves made their way into our pasture the summer before last, and one of our cows nursed them and her calf all summer. I finally got the two vagrants penned in November last year and went next door to tell him that I had 2 of his calves in the pen, to come on and get them. He was actually over at his place doing some work........he just looked at me and asked if I was sure they were his! I should have just said no, and taken them, but integrity won out and I assured him that they were his calves......so when I went out there again later on that day, he had come and gotten the bull calf, but the heifer calf was loose in our pasture again.......needless to say we just went ahead and bought her for $100. Not too bad for a 500lb heifer! Of course, we had fed her for 6 months too! So we'll see what kind of calf she throws in April.

I can't agree more with the contempt felt for people that have livestock and either chose not to, or just don't take care of them properly.

Jay, you're to be commended for at least trying to help if you can. It can only be frustrating for you. I've had my confrontations with people like this in the past... very maddening!

With the price of cattle at the auction barn, there's no excuse for these people not to sell out and get a decent price for them!.

Here's another point to get your undies in an uproar. They haven't weaned the calves that were born last January-thru-June! There's a nice 11-month old bull calf that is still nursing....in fact ALL of the calves are still nursing. I pointed that fact out to them the last time they were here (in October)...all they said was: Huh, that's odd! I have a feeling they are going to have some dead cows and/or calves when all these gals start to calve. I don't like to cause trouble, but they guy they lease from is already unhappy with thier 'lack of concern', etc. I have a sneaky hunch that he isn't going to renew their lease whether they want to or not. The lady that owns the cows is 80-some years old, but her foreman is only probably in his 60's.....plus they have another hired hand....
I just try & do the best I can for the cows. It's not their fault they have owners who could care less!!

humane society either won't do anything or will just piss the neighboring community off enough that you'll have trouble.

I'd just offer to buy them and then lease the ground or something like that, or buy cheap and haul all of them to the salebarn.

we had something like this happen to a heifer last year. some oxytetracycline cleared it up in a few weeks.

I agree with what you all have said but mother nature can be pretty brutal at times too.

Jake":17qpqnhx said:
humane society either won't do anything or will just be nice the neighboring community off enough that you'll have trouble.

I'd just offer to buy them and then lease the ground or something like that, or buy cheap and haul all of them to the salebarn.

If you do buy them. I would,nt take them to the sale barn right away. It could very well hurt your reputation as a cattleman .If people see them, and think they are yours.

Get some cheap feed and put into them.Build them back up.

Trust me everyone--if I had the extra $$ I would buy all of these cows, calves & bull in a heartbeat. (And do some serious weaning/worming/doctoring/culling!!) I am 'small time' and don't have that kind of money laying around. :( I don't know of any Ag loan programs, either. Ideas?!!
I do 'help' these cows as much as I can. They get occasional hay from me and 12/12 minerals. There are 19 cows plus the bull & all the calves that were born last year that didn't either get weaned a year ago or were born late....10 now. Yep, these gals are going to start calving again soon.
I have offered to wean the older calves & take care of them in a smaller pasture; & pen up 'Gimpy' that I know will have problems calving. I was told it was a nice idea....but that is as far as that conversation went. One ol' skittish gal I'm positive is going to have twins. She is big as a 55-gallon barrel & no bag yet. She's got 200 acres of pasture & wonderful brush to get lost in when she does calve. I keep an eye on all of them...it's the right thing to do for the cows. They might not know any different, but *I* do!! The thought has run through my head more than once to put the older calves in one smaller pasture by the house (80 acres) by themselves...but...they aren't my cattle & I don't want to make anyone angry. Ugh. I see & deal with these cows pretty much on a daily basis & I get really teed off somedays when I get to thinking about the whole situation.... :mad:
As for a humane society---there is none. The folks that own the cows live in a different county. I'd have to get the sherriff involved & I know that can take 6 months or longer before anything is really done. They will probably sell all of the cows within the next 2 months anyhow.
The dead cow is still out there in the pasture with a nice lake view! :roll: I am just grateful no one can see it from the highway, because they would think it was one of mine. :( I am leaning to the idea that it was probably a snakebite.....the way her muscles were decomposing so fast before she was dead seems to me the 'work' of venom. Just seen 2 rattlers today dead on the highway.
And nope, they still have never showed up. Imagine that.

Jay":13v541ay said:
Trust me everyone--if I had the extra $$ I would buy all of these cows, calves & bull in a heartbeat. (And do some serious weaning/worming/doctoring/culling!!) I am 'small time' and don't have that kind of money laying around. :( I don't know of any Ag loan programs, either. Ideas?!!

Capital Farm Credit has an Ag Loan program that you may want to check into. I think all they do is Ag Loans. Being a small land owner with dependencies on pasture leases, I'm just seeing all sorts of opportunities here that you may not want to pass up. Its worth looking into anyway.

Jay, I sure hope you are keeping track of everything you do to or for these cattle and have record of the times you called the owners to report a problem or concern. Sounds to me like they owe you for hay, meds and your time.
If the tables were turned and for some reason they had to supply services of some type to you or your cattle, I bet they wouldn't be so neighborly.