Switching to Oral Wormer

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
I am switching from injectable Ivomec to Oral (drenching) application of Safe Guard.

Why? My cows don't like it! Not being funny. Those injectable wormers usually mean two injections. I inject subcutaneous behind the front leg (Ivomec directions include behind the front leg as an appropriate injection site. Remember, it just goes under the skin so don't start the BQA debate).

These injections are causing my cows such a bad experience in the chute that I want to switch to another means of administration. I got one of my favorite cows that is getting to the point I cannot work her in the chute. Since I am 100 percent AI, that is bad news. I detest pour on so I am going to use the oral caulking gun applicator to administer Safe Guard.

Have fun we quit that fight decades ago. They dam sure fought that old mouth wormer and syringe.
You would be better off going to cubes.
Edit
I know of no oral or pour on that gets liver flukes.

Caustic Burno":10xzrk8a said:
Have fun we quit that fight decades ago. They dam sure fought that old mouth wormer and syringe.
Edit

CB. You are right on the liver flukes but if I remember, Lucky said he never sees them here.

The safeguard wormer for goats, can be drizzled over your cow feed. Almost impossible to do more than one cow at a time, but it does work well.

Bigfoot":j6w63yxi said:
The safeguard wormer for goats, can be drizzled over your cow feed. Almost impossible to do more than one cow at a time, but it does work well.
Safeguard makes cube wormer as well its kinda of pricey they claim 1 50 pound bag worms ten cows.

Caustic Burno":3bmbm2u9 said:
Bigfoot":3bmbm2u9 said:
Safeguard makes cube wormer as well its kinda of pricey they claim 1 50 pound bag worms ten cows.

I'd have to look on a bottle to know for sure, but it's like 2.5 cc per hundred weight for the liquid. You can worm a 400 pound calf pretty cheap at that rate.

The generic ivomec pour makes a good wormer when given orally to. That's an off label use of course. I administer it the same way. I have no idea what the rate would be. I have given it to goats, that I was certain were going to die from their parasite load, but crapped a number 9 washtub load of dead worms after giving it to them.

I use safeguard cubes and I'm happy so far. I do like to run them through every 18 months or so for the injectable just in case of liverflukes.

Bigfoot":2vul4ik3 said:
Caustic Burno":2vul4ik3 said:
Bigfoot":2vul4ik3 said:

I'd have to look on a bottle to know for sure, but it's like 2.5 cc per hundred weight for the liquid. You can worm a 400 pound calf pretty cheap at that rate.

The generic ivomec pour makes a good wormer when given orally to. That's an off label use of course. I administer it the same way. I have no idea what the rate would be. I have given it to goats, that I was certain were going to die from their parasite load, but crapped a number 9 washtub load of dead worms after giving it to them.

This is going to gross some people out.

When we were kids, say 5 to 6 in that range. Mom went to old Doc Townsend once a year - in the spring. She got worm medicine. Me and my other two brothers lined up and took a table spoon full of a dark gritty medicine for worms. I remember the next day, I was down over the hill and had to poop. My crap was full of dead worms. Mostly pin worms. You have to remember, we were hillbillies. We drank water from where ever we found a creek or a wet weather drain.

No matter how hard I tried or how many times I did it I usually ended up with about 25% of the Safeguard Drench on the concrete floor in front of the headgate or slung out farther down the alley.

TexasBred":18rtxld6 said:
No matter how hard I tried or how many times I did it I usually ended up with about 25% of the Safeguard Drench on the concrete floor in front of the headgate or slung out farther down the alley.

When I am halter breaking and weaning. I have my calves up a lot. During that time, I worm about twice. I use the Safe Guard caulking gun, I get that curved tube in at the corner of their mouth and get to the back of their throat. Rarely lose any.

Get it in the mineral or feed no way I'm drenching. I'd much rather just inject over drench! We use feed safegaurd here on everything. Only cow that didn't get it last winter. Yep her calf broke with coxy

Till-Hill":3vamy3qu said:
Get it in the mineral or feed no way I'm drenching. I'd much rather just inject over drench! We use feed safegaurd here on everything. Only cow that didn't get it last winter. Yep her calf broke with coxy

Agreed the 25 pound bags of safeguard feed aren't that much more expensive and can just mix it in there feed.

Calves aren't bad but it seems like the xcows that don't like being drenched remember it after a couple years

Caustic Burno":2wsy5nd9 said:
Edit

I think I ended up with as much of that green slimy crap on my face and shirt as I got shot down their throat, and 1/2 of what went in got slung out as soon as we turned them loose. Leather cup dries out or cracks and half of what was in the gun slipped by the cup and ended up in the top of the barrel above the cup when you pushed the plunger down. When you went to suck up the next gun full, what was in the top of the barrel came squirting out the top of the gun between the shaft and the cap, right on you. fun times...

Safeguard cubes are the best thing since sliced bread.

Is liver fluke not widespread enough there for a p/o to be sold? We have one here, combined with a general wormer. I switched to it years ago, as soon as it was available, to avoid all the messing around with weight divisions and oral drenching.

A new headbail may make it easier to return to oral drenching for the youngsters, which I'd quite like to be able to do.

Caustic Burno":jurmyjxr said:
Edit

One of the most effective drugs for liver fluke is Triclabendizole, it will control both mature and immature liver flukes, it is only available as an oral drench.

Ron, have a go at injecting under the skin in the anal tail fold, I use it for my bulls vibrio vaccine (5ml oily dose) and they don't seem to mind what you are doing there.

The big shepherds hook on the end of a flexible tube makes for pretty easy oral drenching. If we have a wet summer I well give them an oral Fluke drench. Having a chain under their chin makes things easier as well or a good chin catch.

Ken

I've seen photos of your cows and grass.
I have serious doubts that your cows even need to be dewormed. Ever.

Beyond that, I'm not even convinced that most cows over 4 years of age need to be dewormed - unless you are in a fluke area - or even that it's economically worthwhile to do so. Calves... yeah, they benefit (as does your bottom line) from deworming...but cows...I'm just not convinced that they benefit enough to justify the expense. $$$ spent on fly control have far better ROI.

35+ years of veterinary practice and diagnostic pathology in AL, TN, MO, KY... I've seen exactly ONE cow come to necropsy with liver flukes - and she was a recent 'import' from Texas. We just don't have flukes here, and there's no need for anyone in this part of the country to use a product for fluke control.

Our cows hate to have their heads messed with worse than they like injections... I'd hazard a guess that I'd get more 'resistance' from drench-deworming than injecting (if I did either with any regularity).

Lucky_P":2ltmho16 said:
I've seen photos of your cows and grass.
I have serious doubts that your cows even need to be dewormed. Ever.

Beyond that, I'm not even convinced that most cows over 4 years of age need to be dewormed - unless you are in a fluke area - or even that it's economically worthwhile to do so. Calves... yeah, they benefit (as does your bottom line) from deworming...but cows...I'm just not convinced that they benefit enough to justify the expense. $$$ spent on fly control have far better ROI.

35+ years of veterinary practice and diagnostic pathology in AL, TN, MO, KY... I've seen exactly ONE cow come to necropsy with liver flukes - and she was a recent 'import' from Texas. We just don't have flukes here, and there's no need for anyone in this part of the country to use a product for fluke control.

Our cows hate to have their heads messed with worse than they like injections... I'd hazard a guess that I'd get more 'resistance' from drench-deworming than injecting (if I did either with any regularity).

I knew you mentioned that before. Thanks.

bmoore87":2gbtxcbs said:
Till-Hill":2gbtxcbs said:

Agreed the 25 pound bags of safeguard feed aren't that much more expensive and can just mix it in there feed.

Calves aren't bad but it seems like the xcows that don't like being drenched remember it after a couple years
Use to go in a feed store that had a big wash tub sitting in the floor full of cubes that contained Safeguard. No idea who made them but you just weighed out what you needed and paid. Don't know if it was a 3 day worming protocol or not.

The 25Pound bag of Safeguard pellet are easy to use , only takes a pound per 1000# . 1/2 pound per 500# . I used them this fall with heifers I was running on hayfields and didn't want to run them all the way home to go thru the chute. about 60 bucks per bag.

Latest posts