Switching to Oral Wormer

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58":up327tw2 said:
Caustic Burno":up327tw2 said:
...I know of no oral or pour on that gets liver flukes.

One of the most effective drugs for liver fluke is Triclabendizole, it will control both mature and immature liver flukes, it is only available as an oral drench...

In NZ we can get it as a pour-on in combination with abamectin. Makes life easier.

There was a suggestion in an organics book I read some years ago, which I've tried to follow up with veterinarians at various times, that keeping cattle liver copper levels in the correct range enables them to resist liver fluke or make the liver environment less hospitable for flukes. Certainly I've dropped right back on fluke treatment since upping my copper supplementation and rarely see them reported on my kill sheets any more. (We inject copper regularly because of a secondary deficiency caused by high levels of iron in the pastures.)

aprille218":39fsescn said:
Valbazen ( albendazole) is an oral flukicide available in the US.
Liver Flukes are a severe problem in the Pacific Northwest and Valbazen is the most commonly used drench in this area. It also has the advantage that it does not kill Dung Beatles.

Lucky P,

Do you believe that the oral dosing leads to less resistance secondary to minimal if any subtherapeutic residual? Ivermectin products (no matter which brand nor route) have had a very poor ROI over the last couple of years, but it worked great previously. Cydectin had an okay response, so I switched to Long Range once with an improved response in everything but my checkbook. I tried oral on a group of heifers with very good results and I have continued to use oral for the past year and a half with excellent results - both visually and reproductively. Is there a time frame where I should alternate to help decrease resistance or just keep doing the same until it doesn't work. I do believe all of my neighbors continue to use injectable or pour on routes.

Thanks!

Valbazen is a very good oral dewormer. Have had very good results with it based on fecal tests we have done on our calves.