Swiss Chard

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Reaction score
I remember having it as a kid, didn't think much of it.
Planted some anyway, very colorful picture on the packet. Sold Me. :roll: :cowboy:
Maybe there are some good recipes. :help:

Swiss chard can be done like spinach most of the times. It is delicious and easier to grow than spinach plus when you cut of the tops they grow back..

I know it is supposed to be super good for you, but I don't like steamed spinach so I doubt I'd like the Swiss Chard. I don't even know anyone who grows it around here. I never saw it until I went to the UP of Michigan one year and met some self-sustaining hippies who had a HUGE garden and lots of it. I see it in the grocery stores here.

Those hippies were nice and had a really cool house they had built. But when they started bathing in the lake, I had to have a cut off point somewhere. No kidding, we went out to the lake and they proceeded to strip down themselves and their kids, in front of me, and bathe in the lake. At least they used soap, though. Points for that.

I met all kinds of interesting folks on that trip. I thought Austin was the place where hippies go to die. I was wrong.

Lammie my in-laws grow and eat the stuff up at Godley.....I tried it once....tasted like pond scum. :lol2: A little Louisiana Hot Sauce might have made it good.

TexasBred":12fqzpcf said:
Lammie my in-laws grow and eat the stuff up at Godley.....I tried it once....tasted like pond scum. :lol2: A little Louisiana Hot Sauce might have made it good.

The way that stuff looks, I think I might as well go gather up some weeds and steam them. Ever ate sushi? How about that seaweed they wrap that stuff in? Taste anything like that? I had a neighbor when we moved to town and her mother was Asian in some way... She used to make her own sushi. I liked it then. I ate sushi before it was cool. Stuff like I've had since, not good at all. I guess it was fresher homemade. Not bad. It has to be really cold, though. Kinda like beer! :D

I got lucky, only about 6 plants came up. Now about 6" tall. How big do you let it get before you eat it? The pic on the pack looked to be a foot or better.
Lammie, maybe Swiss Chard is good smoked? I mean you know? If those people were real Hippies, they were smoking something. :cowboy:
TxB, I Have a hard time imagining what pond scum tastes like. :???: Reckon when I taste this Swiss Chard I'll know. :frowns:

mnmtranching":2fb1yw1k said:
I got lucky, only about 6 plants came up. Now about 6" tall. How big do you let it get before you eat it? The pic on the pack looked to be a foot or better.
Lammie, maybe Swiss Chard is good smoked? I mean you know? If those people were real Hippies, they were smoking something. :cowboy:
TxB, I Have a hard time imagining what pond scum tastes like. :???: Reckon when I taste this Swiss Chard I'll know. :frowns:

Mnm...it tastes pretty much the same as the algae in your aquarium. :lol2: :lol2:

mnmtranching":1i98a7he said:

Oh, I'm sure they had that growing somewhere in the garden, too. I didn't look that closely and I wouldn't have known when it was if I saw it back then anyway.

Latest posts