Swinging that tail!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Colorado2008

Reaction score
How in the world can I get a couple steers to not swing thier tail!!?!?!?!?!?!? :x :x :x I have tried putting tail ties just about everywhere on the tail, but no place seems to work. :roll: :x They would have really nice hair, but that tail tends to screw everything up.

Any ideas???? :help: :help: :help:

~Britani~ 8)

Colorado2008":93gwsws0 said:
How in the world can I get a couple steers to not swing thier tail!!?!?!?!?!?!? :x :x :x I have tried putting tail ties just about everywhere on the tail, but no place seems to work. :roll: :x They would have really nice hair, but that tail tends to screw everything up.

~Britani~ 8)
What're they swinging at? Flies? Some fly spray could help, in that case.

jaydill":1z241byb said:
Colorado2008":1z241byb said:

~Britani~ 8)
What're they swinging at? Flies? Some fly spray could help, in that case.

Sorry should have specified better. Not swinging at flies. Its when I'm brushing, drying, washing, or even just standing near them. They are not afraid of me (thinking that was going to be said next). They have done this since day 1 and I am running out of ideas! :shock:

Thanks

~Britani~ ;-)

Usually you have something intelligent to say but today...WoW!! LoL

There cows..they are gunna do it...its part of a cows life..

Buy you a bottle of Lydocane, the same thing a dentist uses. A couple of hours before the show, take 5 cc's and feel on the top of their tail heads and there will be a seperation of their vertebrate's and there will be a dip in their. Stick the needle in and shoot. Their tail will be numb for the rest of the day.

Cowboy 2.0":1oq0zzoa said:
Buy you a bottle of Lydocane, the same thing a dentist uses. A couple of hours before the show, take 5 cc's and feel on the top of their tail heads and there will be a seperation of their vertebrate's and there will be a dip in their. Stick the needle in and shoot. Their tail will be numb for the rest of the day.

I'm not sure if I am allowed to do that at county fair. I know that I can't at state. I don't want to get kicked out for doing something stupid like that.

Any other suggestions? :?:

Thanks

~Britani~ :)

I'll have to ask around then. :) Just don't want to be in the situation of being dq'ed for doing something dumb, thats all. :p

~Britani~ :lol:

Colorado2008":1fe6omyn said:
I'll have to ask around then. :) Just don't want to be in the situation of being dq'ed for doing something dumb, thats all. :p

~Britani~ :lol:

Find a good fitter and they should know and they will also know what I'm talking about and will probably help you do it. It can be tricky if you don't know what you're doing. Too far back and it will do nothing, too far forward and your calf won't be getting up for a while.

Hmmmm, Lidocaine huh????

Off lable use??? Probably...... Would that make it illegle??? Yes. This is a kill show if you sell at the Jr. Market sale, and they DO test.

We will just put up with the tail swinging.

Just for the "thats what cows do" comment, it is a I am mad swinging of the tail, a constant swoosh, swoosh, swoosh the whole time. Really annoying, but hey, whats a couple more weeks for one calf, and a month for the other, then after that. No more swooshing of anything.

Tracy740":38934wss said:
Hmmmm, Lidocaine huh????

Off lable use??? Probably...... Would that make it illegle??? Yes. This is a kill show if you sell at the Jr. Market sale, and they DO test.

Just for the "thats what cows do" comment, it is a I am mad swinging of the tail, a constant swoosh, swoosh, swoosh the whole time. Really annoying, but hey, whats a couple more weeks for one calf, and a month for the other, then after that. No more swooshing of anything.

I didn't say the show didn't test, just that they don't test for it.

Tracy740":2lp1y0zt said:
I would take this advice, Colorado. If it isn't an "I'm annoyed" tail swishing, than I'd just put up with it and hope one day they quit it. I suggest you don't I repeat don't try to use a drug to quit something as natural as tail swinging. You wouldn't want to run into a deal where you think something is legal or that it doesn't test and then you get DQed when you find out it does...

We had a hiefer that done that last yr. We called her happy tail. When washing her we got more water on us than her backside from tail swoshing. We too tried the ties didnt work. After a while she just stopped. How long have you had the calves?

Cowboy 2.0":ro3bvoiv said:
Tracy740":ro3bvoiv said:
Hmmmm, Lidocaine huh????

I didn't say the show didn't test, just that they don't test for it.

Well, if any of the people that run these shows is watching and reading this board, they just might begin. Heck, that business about having to be real careful how and where you give that shot or the animal might be down for hours would pretty well keep me from pulling that, forget about not doing it because it's unethical and maybe downright dishonest.

The more I read about what goes on at the shows, the more convinced I am that I will never attend another one. What you see is definitely not what is really there. :(

Alice

You got to be sure you're getting tie in the right spot, too far back and it isn't going to work. You have to find that dip in between their vertebrate and you put the zip tie across there.

We had a hiefer that done that last yr. We called her happy tail. When washing her we got more water on us than her backside from tail swoshing. We too tried the ties didnt work. After a while she just stopped. How long have you had the calves?

Southerngal":3thcwwjl said:

We have had the calves since October '05.

Cowboy 2.0":3thcwwjl said:
You got to be sure you're getting tie in the right spot, too far back and it isn't going to work. You have to find that dip in between their vertebrate and you put the zip tie across there.

How far down do you put the tie. I know that I am getting it inbetween the vertebrate. how far down do you put it

Alice":3thcwwjl said:
Well, if any of the people that run these shows is watching and reading this board, they just might begin. Heck, that business about having to be real careful how and where you give that shot or the animal might be down for hours would pretty well keep me from pulling that, forget about not doing it because it's unethical and maybe downright dishonest.

The more I read about what goes on at the shows, the more convinced I am that I will never attend another one. What you see is definitely not what is really there. :(

Alice

Dont worry Alice, hadn't planned on trying it. Its not worth it to me. Just trying to see if anyone had other suggestions to stop this. Guess none that arent frowned upon :roll: :roll:

But like Tracy740 said, we'll just have to put up with it. :p

Have a wonderful day!!! :D

~Britani~ :mrgreen:

Alice":kfzk4ft5 said:

Alice

I concur, nothing but used car salesman

Colorado2008":19zdqsv6 said:
Cowboy 2.0":19zdqsv6 said:

How far down do you put the tie. I know that I am getting it inbetween the vertebrate. how far down do you put it

Have a wonderful day!!! :D

~Britani~ :mrgreen:

On the top of their tail head, there is a seperation of their vertebrate, it is very noticable. You stick the zip tie in between there and tighten it as tight as you can get it.