Swine Flu

Help Support CattleToday:

Jim62":10zdh5hp said:
I think we've already had 1 or 2 confirmed cases in Texas. :???:

Slightly more than that Jim. This is the dreaded H1N1 that killed millions in 1918. They called it the Spanish Flu. Everyone had hoped that this would never reveal its ugly head again. But it has.

For 90 years the med professionals have heard about this one and they've heard how bad it was. Now an out break has happened and they are rightfully concerned.

Behind the scenes alerts have been issued. Anyone who is tied to any type of emergency response organization has been put on notice. Both in the public and private sector.

We have much more capability today than what we had back then. Just think of electricity alone. Then think of the advances in medication and facilities. There are vast improvements in communication. Are you going to take a trip to an infected area? 90 years ago you wouldn't have known as much as you know - based on current media.

I read yesterday where they have started with the tamiflu and are rushing it per obama's orders. Also there was an article I read yesterday where they are in the process of making a vaccine and should have it out mid may.

Daughter and son in law is both pharmacist and say this flu is responding as well or better to tamiflu than what we might call the "plain old flu". Mexico's "socialized medicine" cannot provide for those down there that have been exposed and some are nowhere close to medical aid, thus the high number of deaths. Just their opinion, I know, but they doesn't seem overly concerned. Just take normal precautions.

Jim62":3j9col3p said:
They said on the news yestiddy that it has not affected swines, just people.

You'd think that swines would be susceptible to swine flu.......

Are you referring to Crowder's wimmen again? He still don't come around much anymore..Maybe they all got it and he's taking care of his "investment". :lol:

backhoeboogie":2i2ow2om said:
Jim62":2i2ow2om said:
I think we've already had 1 or 2 confirmed cases in Texas. :???:

Slightly more than that Jim. This is the dreaded H1N1 that killed millions in 1918. They called it the Spanish Flu. Everyone had hoped that this would never reveal its ugly head again. But it has.

For 90 years the med professionals have heard about this one and they've heard how bad it was. Now an out break has happened and they are rightfully concerned.

Behind the scenes alerts have been issued. Anyone who is tied to any type of emergency response organization has been put on notice. Both in the public and private sector.

We have much more capability today than what we had back then. Just think of electricity alone. Then think of the advances in medication and facilities. There are vast improvements in communication. Are you going to take a trip to an infected area? 90 years ago you wouldn't have known as much as you know - based on current media.

This is not the Spanish Flu that killed millions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_ ... btype_H1N1

And

The 2009 flu outbreak , sometimes called the swine flu, is a spread of a new strain of influenza virus that began in March 2009.[61] The new virus strain is a type of influenza A (H1N1) virus.[62] The outbreak has also been called the H1N1 influenza,[63] 2009 H1N1 flu,[64][63] Mexican flu,[63] or swine-origin influenza.[65]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_swine_flu_outbreak

From what I've read, it's generally pretty mild and people in good health should not be too concerned. But it is a serious problem.

No vaccine will be out for at least six months. Even if it doesn't mutate again, our methods of manufacturing the vaccine are very slow. There aren't many companies in the US licensed to make flu vaccine.