Swine Flu

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
Both the World Health Organziation and the US have declared a public health emergency because of outbreaks of Swine Flu. I haven't seen any cases reported in OK, but both Kansas and Texas have had reported cases, so it can't be far away for us. :(

The strange bit is that the method of transmission is being difficult to determine. It isn't like everyone that has been infected has been to the same event or eaten the same food. I hope the methodology of transmission is found soon or it could really stir things up. JMO

There was over 1000 cases found in the mexican population and I'm pretty sure most of those were in cities. Which means that not only you have animal to human transmission, you have human to human transmission. So they didn't necessarily have to eat the same thing to get it.

I always wonder if the media is just having a field day with this stuff or not but maybe that only cause im not well versed in this stuff. How is it any different from the normal flu? We have had no deaths in the U.S. and out of the 1000 cases (which really isnt that much for a city like Mexico City) only 60 have died and I would bet they didnt seek any medical help or waited just to late. Hope everyone stays healthy though and it passes with out much trouble.

Yeah but don't forget the disease has only been active for a month. 1000 confirmed cases means there is probably more. And asking how the swine flu is different to regular flu is like asking how the bird flu is different to the regular flu. COMPLETELY different things. This disease is only in it's early stages. It's dumb to make assumptions so early, that's how pandemics happen.

1000 cases in Mexico City isn't a lot of people, but it's the dramatic jump in cases in such a short time. I work for a large swine producer and they strongly recommend that all field staff gets a flu shot every year. Humans can contract flu from swine and vice versa through normal contact, like people transmit flu to each other. Personally I'm not concerned yet because the number of cases is low, but what concerns me is that they don't know the method of transmission. Just my two cents.

See the number is really dependent on the mode of transfer, If it is transferred by say, air-borne means then 1000 isn't much. But if it is from direct contact with say waste products or blood, then 1000 is a big number. It's all relative. And you're right, it is a big jump.

Stay out of bars and the likelyhood of kissing a pig are a lot lower.

I didn't get a flu shot and have not in several years. Steve gets one every year and winds up with flu anyway but it is because none of that bunch washes their hands. I am a big hand washer, using the paper towel to turn off the water and open the door when I am done. No reported cases in N Texas yet, but I am willing to bet it's coming. As for the pandemic, I certainly hope not, but I can't trust anything the media says.
Got to get those ratings.

I told Steve to just stay in Bonham if he gets it. I don't want it. I haven't had anything viral in a couple of years, and that was just a mild stomach virus. I would like to keep it that way.

They said on the news yestiddy that it has not affected swines, just people.

You'd think that swines would be susceptible to swine flu.......

I wonder if this will help beef prices? I am thinking people will stop eating pork because of fear.
I heard on the news today that the flu shot that is currently being used does not contain imunity to this strain.

I work in a doctor's office and some of us were talking about swine flu today. The head nurse said that what she's been told is swine flu is similar to influenza a, and has the same characteristics and is transferred like the influenza a. This is just preliminary reports tho...

My brother was talking to me last night (he's been looking it all up) and he said that 10% of the people that get it are dying. And he also said that apparently the reason it is killing/affecting 18-40 yr olds is because its a 'cross' between 2 strains that tricks the immune system into attacking itself. In an older person with a weak immune system this wouldn't be an issue because the attack on itself would also be weak...

Scary stuff...

So far a lot of misinformation is being spread. As of this afternoon on NPR they are saying its is being spread by airborne transmission and close contact. But none of the vaccines will be useful in immunizing for this strain. Also at this time there are not any swine herds that have been infected nor has there been transmission from swine to human. At this point there is a greater risk of transmission from humans to swine than vice versa. Also (TamiFlu) (SP) is a deterrent for this strain of flu both curative and preventative. If that is the case why hasn't there been a rush on this medicine? I hope this doesn't develop into a full blown pandemic.

Jalopy":1q9jlr37 said:
So far a lot of misinformation is being spread. As of this afternoon on NPR they are saying its is being spread by airborne transmission and close contact. But none of the vaccines will be useful in immunizing for this strain. Also at this time there are not any swine herds that have been infected nor has there been transmission from swine to human. At this point there is a greater risk of transmission from humans to swine than vice versa. Also (TamiFlu) (SP) is a deterrent for this strain of flu both curative and preventative. If that is the case why hasn't there been a rush on this medicine? I hope this doesn't develop into a full blown pandemic.

SARS

Bird flue

Let's sell some papers. Of course now it's the internet.

Jalopy":1zt88hmf said:
I am confused too....(guess that's not new :oops: ) but anyway, no animals have been sick? Why the term "swine" flu? Then caught the end of a news snipet that had a fly on a pigs nose with birds flying overhead. What's up with that???? So the birds and pigs flu mutated and is spread by a fly????? :???: :???: :roll: I'm lost.
There is a woman south of here that is being diagnosed with it, she just got back from Texas/Mexico border.
edit to add article I just read about the "flu": http://beefmagazine.com/health/0428-swine-flu-update/

Schools are closed in Fort Worth, a huge discrict, until the end of next week. I hope the state gives everyone a waver so that they will not have to make up the days. We had two teachers go home sick yesterday, one of whom will hardly ever do this. I am waiting to see if they have it, and if so, and I have been exposed, I won't go visit Dad this weekend for fear of exposing him. I don't know what parents who must work are going to do with their children, since daycares will surely follow and you wouldn't want your child exposed to it in daycare, either. I'm buying more hand sanitizer today and I am taking my clorox wipes with me for the phones and for the handles on shopping carts... I really don't want this. You can't be too careful. It's TAKS week across the state. We have no plans to close where I work thus far, and we have no confirmed cases, although we have been instructed to ask about symptoms if a parent calls a child in sick to school.

In Austin, they're setting up tent cities outside the hospitals to accomodate all the multitudes suffering and dying with swine flu. :lol: I think we've already had 1 or 2 confirmed cases in Texas. :???:

I haven't seen anything this ridiculous since the "gas shortage" back in the '70s. Apparently, there's a lot of money in this panic.............. for someone.

Latest posts