Swelling under the jaw

Help Support CattleToday:

I am very familiar with using it topically as skin prep, disinfecting, killing fungals and for flushing abscesses ect.. It is one of the very few antimicrobials that continues to kill germs after it drys. It is a contact antimicrobial. I just can't wrap my head around how it works intravenously.

Thank you Quigly. It sounds like no one else is sure of the mechanism of action given IV either.

Mode of action of sodium iodide injection against Actinomyces bovis, Actinbacillus lignieresii, and various other bacterial or fungal pathogens is largely unknown - but it works in vivo; funny, though - it does not display significant antimicrobial effects in vitro(outside the animal).

I was referencing this thread for someone with similar symptoms, and thought I would update.
This cow did indeed stick the embryo, and is due the first part of November with the embryo calf. I will try to remember to post a picture after she calves, but we had no further problems with her jaw or eating issues.

We've had both woody tongue & lumpy jaw & sodium iodide was the treatment - our vet did ask if they were bred because of the possibility of abortion (they weren't; both had calves less than a month old). We were lucky & caught ours early because both cows completely recovered after only one treatment. Our head cow was the one with woody tongue; drooling and she wasn't able to take cubes from my hand. The cow with lumpy jaw had a lump on the side of her jaw (not under) but didn't look or feel like an abscess, no other obvious symptoms but we took her into the vet the same day. Looking at them 4 years later you would never know.

Latest posts