Sweetlix Forage Replacer

Help Support CattleToday:

AlyssasPride

Reaction score
I talked to a nutritionist and they recommended a product by sweetlix. They explained it as a 100 pound pressed block. Im supposed to be able to feed them this supplement with hay as a grain replacement. If anyone has heard of this product and has more info, you're opinions and input would be appreciated.

No and his company does not even carry the product he just had simmentals and thats the diet he fed them.

AlyssasPride":3a81sf7m said:
I talked to a nutritionist and they recommended a product by sweetlix. They explained it as a 100 pound pressed block. Im supposed to be able to feed them this supplement with hay as a grain replacement. If anyone has heard of this product and has more info, you're opinions and input would be appreciated.

We've never used it so I can't comment on the product, but here is the lowdown on it from Sweetlix.

http://www.sweetlix.com/media/documents ... ers....pdf

Msscamp thank you but that isnt it. Im unable to find a page online for it but its a super high protein block.

AlyssasPride":22c5yd7g said:

Get a new nutritionist. Hay never replaces grain and grain does not replace hay but they are used to compliment each other. Someone posted a pic on here last year of a big "block" which was some kind of compressed roughage product but was not high in protein. Any "super high" protein product should be a "supplement" to hay/grazing.

I did agree with everyone until i saw his cows, Ive always fed grain & hay. But his are all registered 2 are regularly flushed for eggs, but they look amazing, got some steaks and they were pretty good. The only thing i noticed is that his cows with 3-4 month old calves, should have had a much fuller bag. Im not sure if it was breeding or diet. The nursing calves did look good though. Im not arguing with anyone and i do greatly appreciate your input. Just wanted to let you know what ive found

AlyssasPride":a9yg80u7 said:
I did agree with everyone until i saw his cows, Ive always fed grain & hay. But his are all registered 2 are regularly flushed for eggs, but they look amazing, got some steaks and they were pretty good. The only thing i noticed is that his cows with 3-4 month old calves, should have had a much fuller bag. Im not sure if it was breeding or diet. The nursing calves did look good though. Im not arguing with anyone and i do greatly appreciate your input. Just wanted to let you know what ive found

msscamp":a9yg80u7 said:

We've never used it so I can't comment on the product, but here is the lowdown on it from Sweetlix.

http://www.sweetlix.com/media/documents ... ers....pdf
Msscamp thank you but that isnt it. Im unable to find a page online for it but its a super high protein block.

Still wondering what you "found".

TexasBred":a9yg80u7 said:
Get a new nutritionist. Hay never replaces grain and grain does not replace hay but they are used to compliment each other. Someone posted a pic on here last year of a big "block" which was some kind of compressed roughage product but was not high in protein. Any "super high" protein product should be a "supplement" to hay/grazing.

Can't argue with that.

Vet the PDF file from Sweetlix gives very little info. about the block other than the fact that its medicated with Rumensin...a very good ingredient but I question their claim that eating a quarter lb. of their block per day will give you an additional quarter pound of gain. I may have overlooked it but didnt' see any protein guarantees for the block itself. Probably a good product if you're feeding low grade hay or grazing unfertilized grass but definitely NOT a hay replacer. Rumensin does have a "limiting effect" on intake so that's another good thing about the block. Probably worth giving it a try anyway IF you need it.

TexasBred":s1oxrbvm said:
Vet the PDF file from Sweetlix gives very little info. about the block other than the fact that its medicated with Rumensin...a very good ingredient but I question their claim that eating a quarter lb. of their block per day will give you an additional quarter pound of gain. I may have overlooked it but didnt' see any protein guarantees for the block itself. Probably a good product if you're feeding low grade hay or grazing unfertilized grass but definitely NOT a hay replacer. Rumensin does have a "limiting effect" on intake so that's another good thing about the block. Probably worth giving it a try anyway IF you need it.
Yeah, but AlyssasPride said that wasn't it. Just wondering what is going on.

I used 18% Crystalix all natural tubs thru the drought as a supplement to my hay and the grazing that managed to grow and was happy with the results. (I guess the tubs did some good. Maybe they were just candy) But I didn't try to replace grain with them. But since I don't "feed" grain as a part of a ration maybe I was replacing grain. :?:

I still don't know exactly how I feel about the need of products like rumensin and bovatech in my operation....so far I have stayed away from them. If I were feeding calves (or dairying) I probably would have an opinion, one way or the other.

Vet in my opinion Crystalix is hard to beat. I'm sure they were worth every penny they cost especially during drought conditions and if you were forced to feed less than prime hay. Don't be afraid of Rumensin or Bovatec. Very good products.

Latest posts