Sweet Sixteen

Help Support CattleToday:

My dad has 16 gauge browning. He purchased it new before I was born. Very well may be the only luxury item the man has ever owned.

Bigfoot":16lpzfj3 said:
My dad has 16 gauge browning. He purchased it new before I was born. Very well may be the only luxury item the man has ever owned.

My son has dads St Louis made Browning.
Browning set up operations in the USA when Hitler was over running Europe.
They are pretty rare to see one.
It's sweet really like seeing Browning adding the 16 to current production.
My A-5 has solid rib with the safety inside the trigger in 12 gauge. You need a red wagon to tote the thing. Killed my first deer with that old gun it was dads as well. Then he gave me a Model 97 made in 1906 that I have killed more deer in front of the dogs than I care to write down. I still break it out for nostalgia reasons from time to time.
My oldest has his L C Smith

kenny thomas":eneo9u62 said:
You ain't a 16ga collector if you don't have one.
I gave it to my youngest son a few years ago as I have a pile of sixteens .
I wish they would come out with a 28 on a 28 frame I really like that gauge as well. I was loading pumpkin balls and buckshot for mine today when I got through chasing limb rats

I have my Grandpa's Belgium made Sweet Sixteen. It's by far the prettiest gun in my collection, but that new one sounds more comfortable to whack doves with all day. If I didn't have cows, I could probably afford it!

First gun I ever bought was a Belgium made Sweet 16. Asked my boss what he would buy if he figured it would be the only shotgun he would ever own and that was what he recommended....gave $200 for it in 1971 tax included. Still looks almost new.

TexasBred":13twz15p said:
First gun I ever bought was a Belgium made Sweet 16. Asked my boss what he would buy if he figured it would be the only shotgun he would ever own and that was what he recommended....gave $200 for it in 1971 tax included. Still looks almost new.
In 1972 my dad could not see I needed an auto so I got a Winchester single shot 16 instead, Never owned the Browning until 3-4 years ago. Also bought an A5 that looks like new from 3waycross here on CT. Have never fired it,

True Grit Farms":o5twpail said:
Never owned a 16 ga shotgun. And as a matter of fact I know no one that owns one in my extended family. Must be a rich person's gun.
The sixteen was as or more popular here in east Texas growing up especially in Model 12 or 97.
Killed everything from deer to ducks with it. The model 12 was on a 20 gauge frame you could tote one all day.
You could get everything from 3/4 ounce of shot to 1 1/4 ounce of shot.
I think Federal is the only one that still makes a 1 1/4 ounce magnum load.

I have a old single barrel 16 that was my great grand pa's .. I've kill many a squirrel with it when I was a kid .. I still have some old blue peters shells for it my grand pa gave me ..

What made the 12 gauge so popular is it was best at covering up poor shooting skills by throwing more pellets. After the outlawing of the market gauges of 8 or larger the 12 became the largest to comfortable carry and shoot.
It doesn't matter if it is a 410 or a 10 gauge the pellets are traveling at the same FPS.
The 410 and 20 gauge of today throw some of the worst patterns of all gauges due to shot string from having to stack pellets in tall columns resulting in more pellet deformation.
The 410 wasn't designed as a game getter but a game player on the skeet field. The best patterning gauges are 16 and 28 due to having squared loads.
As Americans we think more is better that is not always the case and causes poorer shooting results.
I shot competition trap for years the best result was to shoot what the gauge was designed for .
The sixteen offered the best of both worlds payload and pattern.
Pattern is the name of the game in shotgun.

They have different events in skeet for a reason. I've never been to a skeet tournament that has an event for 16 ga. The one's I attended have events for 12, 20, 28, and .410. I have a question for you CB, will a good gunner with a 12 ga out shoot a good gunner with a 16 ga every day at a tournament? You and I both know that answer.

True Grit Farms":1naft7d2 said:
They have different events in skeet for a reason. I've never been to a skeet tournament that has an event for 16 ga. The one's I attended have events for 12, 20, 28, and .410. I have a question for you CB, will a good gunner with a 12 ga out shoot a good gunner with a 16 ga every day at a tournament? You and I both know that answer.
Sixteen shoots in the 12 class.
The best gunner will eat up a 12 gauge with a 28 much less a 16.
Again it's about pattern and the man looking down the vent rib not the payload.
I shot competition for too many years with a 16.

A 16 is pretty rare in the north. Its mostly a 12 vs. 20 world. Hard core goose hunters used to tote 10s. A lot of them were traded off on 3.5" 12s...
I did a lot of patterning work in a before cows life. It gave me a great respect for quality components and distance.

Stocker Steve":wlo6kqhz said:
A 16 is pretty rare in the north. Its mostly a 12 vs. 20 world. Hard core goose hunters used to tote 10s. A lot of them were traded off on 3.5" 12s...
I did a lot of patterning work in a before cows life. It gave me a great respect for quality components and distance.
You got the quality component right and you dam sure not getting it on the promotional loads sold at Wally World.
Other than reloading B&P, Winchester AA or Super X,Fiochi Golden Pheasant or Federal Premium Wing Shok the list is pretty short for over the counter.
Other than reloading there is no way to get around a generic wad.
Tons of difference in performance depending on the wad for the different events.
I think I keep Ballistics Products in business on reloading components

I have a Belgium made sweet sixteen, plus a WW2 STL 20ga. My dad has a 60's 12ga. My grandpa had a Belgian 12ga he picked up at the FN factory itself.

Here's my latest Browning to add to the collection. Citori White Lightning 20 ga 26"

To tell the truth I have only ever shot a 12 ga one time. Shot 3 rounds at some clays, and that was enough to know that the 16 and 20 were better guns. 16 for geese and deer, 20 for everything else.

Caustic Burno":g0hwxy0x said:
You got the quality component right and you dam sure not getting it on the promotional loads sold at Wally World.
Other than reloading B&P, Winchester AA or Super X,Fiochi Golden Pheasant or Federal Premium Wing Shok the list is pretty short for over the counter.

Used to burn a lot of Fiochi 5s for pheasants.