Sweet Potatoes

Help Support CattleToday:

Carpenter2n

Reaction score
Would like to grow some sweet potatoes for the 1st time.
Know nothing about them other than they taste good. What do I need to know?

good to know, thank you. We have heavy soil, so I'll do a raised bed for them.
Got any more for me? Really don't know anything at all about them.

I'll defer to sky on that. I'm not all that fond of them. Mom and dad used to grow them in some sandy loam on a place they had. Don't remember a whole lot.

Carpenter2n":2rxd8rpp said:
Would like to grow some sweet potatoes for the 1st time.
Know nothing about them other than they taste good. What do I need to know?

First is they don't like heavy soil. They really need sandy soil to really perform well but some folks raise them with potting soil.

Get u a couple of lick tubs . buy quality potting soil fill1/2 full. put about 6 or 8 draws per tub. As they grow keep the runners turned back into the tub once you have alot of vines keep adding potting soil to keep vines covered with just leaves showing . if done correctly one tub can make a 5 gal bucket. If your successful with them I'll share how to make a potato bank to store them .

Carpenter2n":2ouob0wu said:
Thanks sky, appreciate the info
when is the best time to plant, in relation to last frost?

Mine usually are planted mid may to memorial day. They can't get frosted at all.

M-5":rlauj3fa said:
Get u a couple of lick tubs . buy quality potting soil fill1/2 full. put about 6 or 8 draws per tub. As they grow keep the runners turned back into the tub once you have alot of vines keep adding potting soil to keep vines covered with just leaves showing . if done correctly one tub can make a 5 gal bucket. If your successful with them I'll share how to make a potato bank to store them .

Okay, so pretty similar to growing regular potatoes in a tub. Thank you

Latest posts