Sweet Feed

Help Support CattleToday:

msscamp":2naadfp1 said:
matt69":2naadfp1 said:
I have a 700lb heifer that I am going to finish out and butcher. She has access to pasture, free feed of alfalfa, and I have not started her on grain yet.

My local feed store has 12% sweet feed and is what they suggested to feed her out on. Is this the correct amount of protein?

Matt

For the animals that we have finished on feed, we've always used a straight cracked/ground corn ration. Started them out on 2% of their body weight and built up to around 15 lbs or so once a day.

Hey I found the "or so"...no problem at all. Right there in black and white. And if the 2% of straight corn works for Mss then who are we to "correct her". (But I'm betting they get an equal amount of hay as well) ;-) ;-)

TexasBred":1uzf524m said:
msscamp":1uzf524m said:
matt69":1uzf524m said:
I have a 700lb heifer that I am going to finish out and butcher. She has access to pasture, free feed of alfalfa, and I have not started her on grain yet.

My local feed store has 12% sweet feed and is what they suggested to feed her out on. Is this the correct amount of protein?

Matt

For the animals that we have finished on feed, we've always used a straight cracked/ground corn ration. Started them out on 2% of their body weight and built up to around 15 lbs or so once a day.

Hey I found the "or so"...no problem at all. Right there in black and white. And if the 2% of straight corn works for Mss then who are we to "correct her". (But I'm betting they get an equal amount of hay as well) ;-) ;-)

Congratulations, TexasBred, you found the 'or so'. But, "25, sometimes more, lbs per day" is a long way from "15 lbs or so".
I thought you were supposed to be some kind of feed advisor? And you think it's OK to start a 700 lb animal on straight corn at 2% of their bodyweight? I don't think you have any more knowledge or experience than msscamp.

Chris...it's the "total ration" that important...corn is just one component ;-) ;-) And Msscamp also said she "built up" to that amount of corn. And I never advise a client to change anything that is is already doing a good job and he/she likes it. As you mature you will learn (hopefully).

TexasBred":1fyqqsz0 said:
Chris...it's the "total ration" that important...corn is just one component ;-) ;-) And Msscamp also said she "built up" to that amount of corn. And I never advise a client to change anything that is is already doing a good job and he/she likes it. As you mature you will learn (hopefully).

Well, no she didn't say that. She said,
msscamp":1fyqqsz0 said:

Now, maybe you don't want to challenge her after this, http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45155#p527047 but she's definitely wrong here, and it'd be bad to allow her to tell a rookie it's OK to start an animal on feed at 2% of their body weight without correcting her.

Evidently I've learned a lot more than you have, maybe at some point you'll catch up and be more than a feed salesman.

matt69":2go1hz57 said:
Thanks for all the help guys. She is on bermuda pasture, free choice alfalfa and grass hay, and about 10lbs grain/day. Her manure does splat a little but it doesn't flatten completely out. I am going to leave her at the 10lbs for a couple of days and see how she does.

Matt

Matt, I believe you have her headed in the right direction. She ought to be gaining well. 8)