Sweet feed vs corn

Help Support CattleToday:

steerhorn

Reaction score
When visiting the local farm store the other day, I noticed a 50lb. bag of sweet feed was around $5.69, while a 50lb. bag of whole corn (just shelled, not cracked) was $6.58.
I would think the sweet feed with the different ingredience and processing would be higher than just shelled corn that's just bagged and sealed.
What's up with that? :?:

its getting close to deer season.so they jack the price of the corn up.because they know the hunters will buy the corn.id buy the sweet feed for the calves.an save $2/100 on the feed.

The cost of corn is a lot higher then some of the other products like corn gluten, soy hull pellets, cotton seed and cotton seed pellets, etc.

bigbull338":1lpxp2nj said:
its getting close to deer season.so they jack the price of the corn up.because they know the hunters will buy the corn.id buy the sweet feed for the calves.an save $2/100 on the feed.

And the bags of corn are only 40 pounders. What' s up with that? If the hunter can't handle a 50 pound bag of corn, how will he be able to handle that big buck???????

Texas Gal":c3xtszge said:
bigbull338":c3xtszge said:

And the bags of corn are only 40 pounders. What' s up with that? If the hunter can't handle a 50 pound bag of corn, how will he be able to handle that big buck???????
I think Wal-Mart and some sporting goods chains started the 40# sack, kind of like when fertilizer started showing up in 40 Lb'ers.That dang Deer Corn really gives me a good laugh.Almost as bad as the hunters that cant kill a Deer without baiting one in.

Crowderfarms":2gzeh3v8 said:
Texas Gal":2gzeh3v8 said:
bigbull338":2gzeh3v8 said:

I think Wal-Mart and some sporting goods chains started the 40# sack, kind of like when fertilizer started showing up in 40 Lb'ers.That dang Deer Corn really gives me a good laugh.Almost as bad as the hunters that cant kill a Deer without baiting one in.
Those stupid deer had one run into the side of the pot the other day when I got to lanesboro to load went to swing open the divider gate in the belly there laid the entire front leg good thing it died that would have hurt.

Corn can be purchased at an elevator right now for about $6.25 per 100 at least in some parts of the country. I would avoid the bag feed route if you can.

Limomike":286g6j4i said:
what did he say? :shock:
I should have explained that better for the city folks. A pot is short for cattle pot, the belly is the lowest deck of the cattle pot, A divider gate well I guess that is a gate that divides. Lanesboro is a MN town with a cattle auction a couple days a week. My mistake I should have remembered who would be reading and trying to understand this common cattle language.

wish the price of grain was that price around here, sweet feed is over $10.00 and corn is not far away from that, and YES that's for a 50# bag!!! :(

A few weeks sgo I was at the mill to pick up minerals , there was a guy ahead of me that asked for a bag of shelled corn, they asked him if he wanted plain corn or deer corn , I asked what the diference was and they thier deer corn has molasses and minerals along rith a higher price.

KMacGinley":1ecrbiug said:
Corn can be purchased at an elevator right now for about $6.25 per 100 at least in some parts of the country. I would avoid the bag feed route if you can.
$6.30/100 here from a local farmer.

Tex..those guys were just taking advantage of the stupidity and full pockets of the deer hunters...I've seen apple flavored corn but molasses on whole shelled corn "with vitamins and minerals" is a new one on me. Anyway, as for cattle, the 'sweet feed" pellet is usually full of fillers and grain by-products which are cost cutters thus it's cheaper. Corn on the other hand is good energy and low protein. If you're feeding smalls steers or heifers the shelled corn will work as they will take time to chew it. Grown cattle usually just inhale the stuff, wet it, swallow it and then "plant it" all over your pasture. Very little of it ever gets cracked and utilized. Price chopped or fine ground corn if you're feeding cattle. But don't overfeed it.