sweet corn

Help Support CattleToday:

spoon

Reaction score
The wife is tired of the sweet corn I've been planting for the last several years so I'm looking for suggestions. She likes her corn on the cob to be sweet and the bigger the better.

I don't know what it is called. :oops: Someone gave me a huge jar of it several years ago and I keep it in the freezer. I've been using the same seed for 3 or 4 years now and still have some left but I'm gonna toss it and get some new, hopefully it won't be whatever it is I have now. :D

You might want to try some Sweet G-90. Its a mixed yellow and white hybrid with a lot of sugar. The ears are 9 inches long and they have 16 rows of kernels. It will grow in soils with a wider range of ph from 5.5 - 7.5. Plants are 6-8 foot tall and it takes it 85-90 days to mature. I had this one last year.

This year I'm thinking of planting some Sun and Stars which is a super sweet hybrid but the ears are only 8.5 inches long but I hear it is a good one too.

There is another one that I have been looking for (I'm going from memory here so I might be wrong) but I think its called Oklahoma Silver Mine or something like that. Not really a true sweet corn but an old variety that produces huge ears but are sweet and good to boil. I used to keep this but several years ago the mice found my stash and I haven't been able to replace it. If you can find it, you might want to try it too. Not as sweet as these two mentioned though.

Jogeephus":s0pjybfx said:
You might want to try some Sweet G-90. Its a mixed yellow and white hybrid with a lot of sugar. The ears are 9 inches long and they have 16 rows of kernels. It will grow in soils with a wider range of ph from 5.5 - 7.5. Plants are 6-8 foot tall and it takes it 85-90 days to mature. I had this one last year.

This year I'm thinking of planting some Sun and Stars which is a super sweet hybrid but the ears are only 8.5 inches long but I hear it is a good one too.

There is another one that I have been looking for (I'm going from memory here so I might be wrong) but I think its called Oklahoma Silver Mine or something like that. Not really a true sweet corn but an old variety that produces huge ears but are sweet and good to boil. I used to keep this but several years ago the mice found my stash and I haven't been able to replace it. If you can find it, you might want to try it too. Not as sweet as these two mentioned though.
Here is a link to Cooper seeds, they show a silver mine sweet corn. You might check them out.
http://www.cooperseeds.com/pages/vegetables/Corn.html

Thanks for the link. Prices are very reasonable too. Silvermine is sold out when I checked it. Others must like it too.

Latest posts