sweet corn tasseled out

Help Support CattleToday:

Our corn did not suffer any trauma. My husband planted another couple of rows about a month after the first planting. It is slightly taller (about 6 inches), so it is about 3 1/2 feet tall. It made some big ears though. They are over 12 inches husked and it is oh so sweet!

Jogeephus":ozzsjx7m said:
How'd your grass do? Did a lot of it go to seed before it built any mass?
Yes, mine did....but I say it's because of the 3/10's of an inch of rain it got in 6 weeks.....gave it enough energy to go to seed. Pastures are looking better now that we have gotten SOME rain....and actually, after all the cold spells and dry start, the field corn in our area looks to be the best I've seen in 10-15 years. Been getting some light showers in Taylor since about 6 am this morning. Pretty much icing on the cake for them.

That's exactly how mine looked too.
(plant some more Sat or Sunday--it should be the tallest ya ever grew)
;)
Right Jo?[/quote]

:lol:

skyhightree1":2jdh0xa5 said:
That's exactly how mine looked too.
(plant some more Sat or Sunday--it should be the tallest ya ever grew)
;)
Right Jo?

:lol:[/quote]
Actually, early this am would have been the time to plant it. 2013 super full moon.

skyhightree1":3uvwcqf1 said:
here it is and shows its size I will report back how good it is

Nice spoon. Corn--not so much. My sister told me yesterday, that she saw something on RFD TV about this. Something about because of the cooler temps hanging around, the corn "thought" it was late season, which makes for smaller ears. Didn't make much sense to me, but she said they said it was a common problem this year. Wish I had seen it, but I don't get all those type tv stations.

Gotcha my row crop corn seems to be normal so far I will report back on that... but I will tell you this that corn was super sweet and good. I picked the rest of it yesterday had alot worms in some today I plan on spraying the silk with liquid 7 and see if it helps. We planted 2 rows same day different variety one side is tall other super short. I already cut the short row in which ears were ready and fed stalks to cattle. I would like to have seen that show as well.

Latest posts