Sweep Tub

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Have a small herd (around 10 usually), and considering buying a 180 degree sweep tub. My plan is to build the alley way instead of buying it since I already have a headgate attached to an 8ft wooden chute. Before I commit I thought I'd ask if anyone uses these and could recommend...seems like it'd make handling easier...I have a day job and usually am trying to "get it all done at once"...thanks

[email protected]

We have recently installed a 180 sweep, boy does it simplify working the cows. Since I work them alone most of the time, the only drawback is having to go around and open and close the headgate to pass cow through..

dun

> Have a small herd (around 10
> usually), and considering buying a
> 180 degree sweep tub. My plan is
> to build the alley way instead of
> buying it since I already have a
> headgate attached to an 8ft wooden
> chute. Before I commit I thought
> I'd ask if anyone uses these and
> could recommend...seems like it'd
> make handling easier...I have a
> day job and usually am trying to
> "get it all done at
> once"...thanks

I have used many variations on the sweep tub. I highly recomend using them, even if it consists of just one or two gates that help push cattle quietly into the alley or lane that feeds down to your working area. Just make sure you have safty latches that can hold cattle in many different areas as you shut them down as the number is reduced.

[email protected]

If you can picture a half of a round corral made from pipe panels. OK, half of that with a gate mounted in the middle. Look at the illusttration at the attached site "http://priefert.com/Images/LI_180_sweep.jpg"

dun

> What is a sweep tub?

> Have a small herd (around 10
> usually), and considering buying a
> 180 degree sweep tub. My plan is
> to build the alley way instead of
> buying it since I already have a
> headgate attached to an 8ft wooden
> chute. Before I commit I thought
> I'd ask if anyone uses these and
> could recommend...seems like it'd
> make handling easier...I have a
> day job and usually am trying to
> "get it all done at
> once"...thanks

We just bought a used one this past weekend, and in our minds, its already paid for itself in the ease with which we worked our small herd. Being portable too, we're not restricted to one location either. Highly recommended!

[email protected]

> Just bought it on Friday and put it up..used it to load a bull out on Monday. If you don't have one, GET ONE!! It's great!

Latest posts