swedish reds for regolith

Help Support CattleToday:

ANAZAZI

Reaction score
Birthweights are usually from 35 to 40 kgs, calves are smooth and long. Jerseys calve anything anyway! The breed has 3,9 assisted calvings and 4,6% dead calves as purebred. Grown cows weigh 500kgs as two years first calver and grows out to 600- 700kgs. Young bulls slaughters at some 320 - 370kgs hanging weight at 18 months. Cows milk 8599kgs at 4.35% fat 3,50 protein. Mastitis 8,9%,
Height of cows 138,1 cms

Thanks.

The birth weight is fine - about the same as the NZ Holstein-Friesian and there's only a few cows in my herd that can't handle that.
138 cm = 4'7" or thereabouts? My tallest cow was around 5 foot at the shoulder, so they'd be getting up there.

regolith":fr29k1yz said:
Thanks.

The birth weight is fine - about the same as the NZ Holstein-Friesian and there's only a few cows in my herd that can't handle that.
138 cm = 4'7" or thereabouts? My tallest cow was around 5 foot at the shoulder, so they'd be getting up there.
Nothing to do with your discussion but I couldn't help but notice you are talking in feet. Isn't NZ on the metric system? I thought the US was the only country that used the feet system.

Up here a lot of people are crossing the reds with Holsteins to get a hardier pasture animal.

Nothing to do with your discussion but I couldn't help but notice you are talking in feet. Isn't NZ on the metric system? I thought the US was the only country that used the feet system.

I'm British. Britain (along with the rest of the EU) went metric back in the dark ages, but it didn't really catch on and I grew up knowing stones, pounds, ounces, feet, inches, miles, yards, acres.
New Zealand was better converted to metric and I've learned the new system since moving out here (was taught it as a schoolkid but it didn't stick when real life didn't use it). But a lot of people still talk about height in feet and inches and I can't visualise what 138 cm is as easily as four and a half or five foot.

Latest posts