Sweating horse

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

My 9 year old Peruvian Paso mare is sweating a lot more than normal after very light work. In the past months, I have cut down on her grain and wonder if this is causing a nutritional deficiency. I am adding selinium and vitamin E to her diet, and she does have a salt block in her stall. She is otherwise healthy, with a shiney coat and bright eyes. She just seems to be easily out of breath and lathering up after 15-20 minute gentle rides. Does anyone have any ideas?

[email protected]

look at the aprt between her ribs and her hindquarters. if she's standing still, not after work, and pulling to breath, she has a respiratory problem, get the vet to properly diagnose and treat it. this is my best bet.

[email protected]

We raise Peruvian Pasos too. Have a 9 year old mare. A Peruvian that tires or sweats after just a brief ride or workout is possibly out of condition and/or as other poster indicated, maybe a respiratory thing. Have an "equine" Vet check her out. You mentioned Selium--are you located in a Selium deficient area?? Is your mare stalled or does she have a paddock or pasture to be in and exercise regularly. What is the temperature and humidity factor when you are exercising and/or riding her? Do you exercise her regularly (including loungeing) other than riding? You mentioned "grain", and other supplements. Do you not feed her alfalfa and grass hay along with a "balanced" feed supplement such as Purina Strategy or Moorman's Grostrong PowerGlo? Is she on a regular de-worming schedule with all other vaccinations current? Peruvians are famous for their stamina and endurance. Something is not right here. Have your Vet give her a thorough exam and re-examine your feeding and exercising program. :)

[email protected]

Good advice given here. Sweating also makes me wonder if the horse is in pain. Take him to a vet.

> We raise Peruvian Pasos too. Have
> a 9 year old mare. A Peruvian that
> tires or sweats after just a brief
> ride or workout is possibly out of
> condition and/or as other poster
> indicated, maybe a respiratory
> thing. Have an "equine"
> Vet check her out. You mentioned
> Selium--are you located in a
> Selium deficient area?? Is your
> mare stalled or does she have a
> paddock or pasture to be in and