Sweatin' Another One

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
I don't usually get to worried about one calving until they get to be 4-5 days late. (Yes, I know they don't read calenders.) This is my favorite baldy and she is the first embryo recip we've implanted. Today is four days later than the projected birth date, and the last time I had a full blood go this far over I pulled a dead bull calf. Really don't want another.

Thanks TT. Still no calf. She is swollen and loose. Her bag has filled out and is pretty tight this morning and her teats are beginning to jut out. She's still with the herd.

slick im sweating right along with ya.we are watching 2 cows and a coming 2nd calf heifer.they just keep bagging up very slowly.

bigbull338":148r9uob said:
slick im sweating right along with ya.we are watching 2 cows and a coming 2nd calf heifer.they just keep bagging up very slowly.

At least I know I'm with good company. Hope yours turns out well!

me to i want 1 of the cows to have a bull.then next spring im hoping for an ET bull calf out of a raising cain flush 1 of my buddies bought.

We're waiting on a heifer. She's as big as a hippo in girth and she just keeps dragging things out. Check her twice a day and she's looked ready for almost a week.

Was out there at first light this morning checking on her. She's kinda looking at me funny as in "What the he!! are you doing here!"

I got an old cow that's pretty skinny, but her udder is the giveaway.. a couple years ago I got a gallon of colostrum from ONE quarter... She's a mean witch when she calves, and the calf usually can't find the teats, which makes her a PITA, but she's a pretty good cow otherwise

I was sweating for a while too, finally broke down and texted my dad asking how my recip was doing... He sent back "haven't seen a calf yet" then 3 hours later "red bull calf, dry cord" :lol: I will hopefully have time this week to go home and get pictures...

Left home about 3 hours ago and found her in the far west pasture with the water bubble out. Watched a while and she wasn't progressing, so to the barn we go. Hundred and ten pound bull calf was a hard pull, but mom was cleaning it up when I left. Glad that's over. Pics in a couple of days. Oh, and I think my new protocol with embryos births will include inducing.

I've got to question the value of a breed if it causes as many calving problems as you seem to have

I question it all the time, but they are money makers and I have the time to put in them. My thoughts on this cow was the previous owner bred twice before to a bull that threw 50 lb calves. Tried to get him to go a different route the second time but the semen was paid for, so he went back. This calf was a good 25 lbs heavier than what the bull had thrown previously, so I don't guess I figured on the jump in weight. She's only had grass and hay with an occasional couple lbs of cubes in the second trimester. She'll get implanted back in 60 days with another egg from the same breeding.