Swather and baler recommendations

Help Support CattleToday:

Adam Freeman

Reaction score
I have a 90hp case jx1100u tractor and was thinking of keeping an eye out for a swather and net wrap baler. What would you all recommend looking at doing 100-200 acres a year. Already got a lead on two 60 acre peices coming out of crp program.

You are going to get strong opinions on balers. You should consider what dealer networks are nearby for parts/assistance.

For my money -- John Deere balers are hard to beat. There are some proponents of Vermeer on here as well.

Swather to me -- means self propelled windrower -- but if you are looking for tractor pulled mowers, haybind/discbine, mower conditioner -- I'd look at Kuhn equipment (Kuhn also made JD models in that category for many years).

Kuhn and Krone make a good cutter. NH makes good equipment but their dealer support in my experience leaves a lot to be desired and I will leave it at that. Balers a 70** series NH or JD would be my first choices. A lot of the guys here really like Vermeer but you have to get the right models to have anything IMO. If your talking buying used equipment just remember it is as much about who owned as who made it as to what you get.

I have a 90hp case jx1100u tractor and was thinking of keeping an eye out for a swather and net wrap baler. What would you all recommend looking at doing 100-200 acres a year. Already got a lead on two 60 acre peices coming out of crp program.
Not a swather, but if I was starting out, I would look into investing in a baler connection rake. It can save a lot of labor and fuel.

The baler/rake combo is only good if you live someplace you can bale immediately after the rake. So basically only a setup for hay making in the desert.

At 90hp I would look for a 9' discbine with rolls or flails depending on crop.

Buy a wheel rake that suits the mower size you have.

I'm partial to my NH balers. Look for something in the BR70xx series. With 90hp I'd probably stick with a BR7060 in a 4x5 size or maybe a BR7070 in the 4x6 and make less than full size bales.

It is probably pretty flat were you live and with a JD dealer close that would be a place to look. On the rake a 10 wheel Kuhn would be nice as you have a dealer close.

Latest posts