Sussex cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

Australian Cattleman":1igyxbm4 said:
don't know of anyone using Sussex cattle these days. Lincoln Red cattle are similar to Sussex cattle. There are a few breeders of them about.Wouldn't really know where to start to look for them.

You could start here:

United Kingdom
Sussex Cattle Society
Station Road
Robertsbridge
East Sussex TN32 5DG
United Kindom
Tel: 01580 880105
Fax: 01580 880105
E-mail: [email protected]

United States
Sussex Cattle Association of America
P.O. Drawer 107
Refugio, TX 78377

You may find answers at the following address:
P.O. Drawer 107
Refugio, TX 78377

As the Sussex is a moderate framed breed, the trend toward heavier breeds may be why they are not as popular here and in Australia? They were exelent crossed with Africana, Brahman and any of the Sanga derived breeds. They are often used as clean up bulls in very hot areas, in herds using Red Angus semen where conditions are too severe for the Angus bulls.

Hill Creek Farm":2j2dl9wg said:
Never heard of them in my whole life? Of course, I haven't been around cattle as long as some of these board members. Take care. :cboy:

Not many of us in the U.S. have seen any Sussex cattle and most of us who did probably confused them with Shorthorns. Okie State does not even have any pics.

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/

If you wanted to add a THIRD breed, find one to flush and you could be one of the biggest Sussex breeders in the U.S. very easily.

toby":249cslin said:
P.O. Drawer 107
Refugio, TX 78377

I tried contacting that address before and I didn't get a response. I was talking to an A.I. technician, though, and he told me he could get me semen if I wanted to A.I. a few cows. They are supposed to be a good, hardy breed and apparently they used to be popular back at the turn of the century (that would be around 1900, not 2000). I guess it would be interesting to know why people in North America went away from them.

The sussex breed is indeed very popular in SA for two reasons mainly:
The sussex not being a very popular breed elsewhere escaped unharmed during the pony and racehorse eras. A sussex today is still pretty much the size that a sussex was a 100 years ago. In an arid environment nature doesn't tolerate extremes and the sussex is truly moderate in every sense of the word. Not only frame size, but also milk production and growth traits as well.

The other reason is that they are red...and in this part of the world reds are as popular as blacks are in the USA. Red cattle will always sell slightly higher than black cattle. don't think they are that more heat resistant because they are red as opposed to black, but the perception definately helps.

When it comes to being heat resistant a short shiny slick hair coat plays a much bigger role than colour in adapting to our heat. this was researched in depth by the late prof JC Bonsma, the person who developed the bonsmara breed. This research is published in his book "Benchmark papers of JC Bonsma"

If I wasn't breeding herefords I would have bred sussex.

To AndyBob

Baie dankie ek voel al klaar welkom.

sorry to all the other folks...I just said thanks to him for welcoming me on the boardd.

Cattle Rack Rancher":1jia1aap said:
toby":1jia1aap said:
P.O. Drawer 107
Refugio, TX 78377

I tried contacting that address before and I didn't get a response. I was talking to an A.I. technician, though, and he told me he could get me semen if I wanted to A.I. a few cows. They are supposed to be a good, hardy breed and apparently they used to be popular back at the turn of the century (that would be around 1900, not 2000). I guess it would be interesting to know why people in North America went away from them.

Apparently our grandfathers and great grandfathers generations believed that the Hereford, Angus, Shorthorn, Brahman, and other breeds available at the time were BETTER than the Sussex. Later when new breeds like Charolais, Simmentals, Limousins. Gelbviehs, etc were imported and when old breeds like Texas Longhorns were remultiplied, the cattlemen at the time were either unaware of Sussex cattle or did not think that they offered anything we did not already have. Since those dudes were pretty successful with what they did and I am not willing to reinvent the wheel, I am inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt that they made the right decision. However I do applaud persons who keep small breeds alive in case we have need of those lineages in the future.

andybob":j55fzhsw said:
In Southern Africa the Sussex was considered the most heat tolerant of the British beef breeds, does anyone in the U.S.A. or Australia use Sussex in their breeding programme?

yesterday i visited the largest Sussex herd in the US (300-400 hd) at the Peegee Ranch in Arvada, Wyoming. An englishman named Giles Pritchard is the owner.

the cattle were pretty interesting. the stature was a little less than i was expecting. most had above average muscling and good udders. they also had some sussex-Angus cross cattle that looked very good.

they dont have a website yet but are apparently trying to get one started.

Hill Creek Farm":g1kvjf88 said:
Never heard of them in my whole life? Of course, I haven't been around cattle as long as some of these board members. Take care. :cboy:
=======

A nice sussex on your avitar. Just a guest? ;-)

Hey Andybob:

You may not be the only Zimbabwean.

I lived in Zimbabwe for 2.5 years (81--83), and when I made a trip "Down South" (i.e. South Africa), I was sometimes referred to by the Slopies as a "Rhodesian,"-- which I took as a compliment.

I also learned that the South African students at one of the Universities (I think Durbs) referred to Zimbabwe or Rhodesia as "Texas." I asked why, and was told that the Rhody students at their U. were always talking about how much "bigger and better" everything was in Rhodesia. I was surprized by that, because I thought Texans' reputation for talking up their state was limited to the US--apparently we have an international reputation for that as well.

I really appreciated the Rhodys optimistic "can do" attitude, and I had a great time there, even tho the police did "detain" me briefly,under the Emergency Regs for being "a danger to state security." What a country. Mushy steric, as y'all say.

Latest posts