surrogate or bottle

Help Support CattleToday:

kansan

Reaction score
We have a 2 year old heifer that refused her calf. We tried everything to get her to accept it, but she didn't want any part of it and ended up snorting, charging and jumping the fence. She will go to the salebarn and we started bottle feeding the calf. Four days later we had a heifer that lost a calf, so we but her in the chute and got the orphan calf to nurse with no problem. It works great but she wont let it nurse unless she is in the chute. Would you just bottle feed the calf or continue to let him nurse with the heifer in the chute? How often should we let him nurse off her to get the nutrients he needs?

Gotta keep putting her in the chute, and letting that calf suck from her. And if you have to suppliment a bottle every so often, then do so. Usually, after the surrogate mom's milk passes through the calf they will accept her. The heifer momma will eventually take to the little one. I know this sounds gross, but you can also try getting some of momma's piss, and rubbing it on the calf's head, and body.
Let him nurse as long as he can.

as said keep putting her in the chute so the calf can suck.an sooner or later she might accept the calf.

Heck with the chute, it is time to put hobbles on this cow. Get the kind with the chain and hobble her back legs. Be careful you don't get kicked while doing it!! Then, you should be able to let her out in a small pen with the calf, and she won't be able to run away or kick it. Generally on the average cow it will take about 5 days for her to completely give in. On a really hard case, if she is bunting the calf, you may have to leave a halter on her for a couple days, so you can tie her up a couple times a day for the calf to suck in safety. Make sure, when you remove the hobbles to watch them fairly closely to make sure she really has accepted the calf. If not, hobble her again.

The longest we had one hobbled was about 3 weeks, and that was with the figure 8 hobbles for horses. She was a really hard cow to convince. But in the end she raised the calf for the summer.

I think ive seen this on here before, but never done it so someone can confirm or deny it if they know better but:

What about putting vaseline on the nose of the cow and the top of the tail on the calf.... does that work?

CattleHand":3j45p82b said:
I think ive seen this on here before, but never done it so someone can confirm or deny it if they know better but:

What about putting vaseline on the nose of the cow and the top of the tail on the calf.... does that work?

That can work for some and so can plain old bath powder. The best thing I have found is to milk about a pint out of the cow, put it in a bucket, get a sponge, and sponge the cow's milk completely over the calves body. Sometimes the calf hair will tend to bead up the milk so you have to sponge it in.

For my current nurse cow, once she has fed four calves for a week, I can turn them out to pasture and they do just fine.

be warned if you hobble her with chain type hobbles.that she may buck an kick with them on.an fall an hurt herself.

I agree with the hobbles until the cow the calms down. I also agree with putting poo on the calf. I also try and catch alittle bit of moms urine to pour over the the backend of the calf. I take a cloth or paper towel and rub it's ears and face. I know it sounds gross ,but it does work.

Joy, that is exactly what I was talking about when it bleaped me out "the be nice" meant mommas pizz. It does work.

actually, I have found that even if the cow really never loves her calf, he will get aggressive enough that she has no choice but to let him suck. Then when you put them to pasture, he will suck everything and be one of your best calves. I have never given up, and always won. However, I have also had broken ribs, broken wrists, and numerous bruises proving my point. gs

Limomike":35ca2gjb said:
Joy, that is exactly what I was talking about when it bleaped me out "the be nice" meant mommas pizz. It does work.
Ok Mike,well I wasn't sure which one you were talking about. P or Poo they both work. It's messy putting poo on a calf,but I know it does work . I did it to one of the little bull calves I bought. I don't know why but the jersey had a problem with this calf. In 2 days she was fine.

Latest posts