Surprises Happen

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
My daughter has been healing from back surgery at our house. She has access to the genealogy records in Salt Lake City Utah.
Most people search their fathers side and totally ignore the mothers side. My mother' maiden name was Dowdy. My grandfathers name was Henry Marion
and his fathers name would have been Green Dowdy. The daughter was busy searching and looked at me and said do you know anything about Green.
The only thing I knew that he served in the Civil War. She the said Green was fathered by Thomas Dowdy with a slave woman he owned. I said I did know that. She kept reading and looked over at me and said, " I bet that was why you had an urge to drink at the colored fountain located in the basement of the courthouse." I thought I drinked there because I was just being ornery. Looking back I suspect there will be alot of surprises in the family tree.

There could be surprises in all our family trees. Maybe that's why I've never done one of those DNA tests. I might find out something I didn't want to know.

Edit:. That might have given the wrong impression. I just meant that it would hurt me to find out that the people I've always believed were my ancestors really aren't.

I gave my sister a DNA test last year for Christmas. As it turns out, my first cousins have a 1/2 brother whom I don't think they are aware of. Their father was well-known as a lady's man and always had a side girlfriend or two even up until he died. We agreed not to say anything to them about it.
There's alot of people finding out they have relatives they didn't think were related with those dna test kits and alot finding out they aren't related to who they thought they were. In some ways I guess it's good, but some things are just better left unknown. Those have caused a lot of disruptions in families over something that happened years ago.

My daughter has been healing from back surgery at our house. She has access to the genealogy records in Salt Lake City Utah.
Most people search their fathers side and totally ignore the mothers side. My mother' maiden name was Dowdy. My grandfathers name was Henry Marion
and his fathers name would have been Green Dowdy. The daughter was busy searching and looked at me and said do you know anything about Green.
The only thing I knew that he served in the Civil War. She the said Green was fathered by Thomas Dowdy with a slave woman he owned. I said I did know that. She kept reading and looked over at me and said, " I bet that was why you had an urge to drink at the colored fountain located in the basement of the courthouse." I thought I drinked there because I was just being ornery. Looking back I suspect there will be alot of surprises in the family tree.
I got hooked on genealogy last winter.
Quite often people don't bother with the mothers side, which is a shame. So much history to find.
Good for her to dig in the past.

People a few years ago didn't swim rivers or cross mountains. When it got dark it was who was close or too close. I believe there was more went on then than now.
Are you kidding. Granddad told me his granddad crossed the ocean, tamed Appalachia, forded the Mississippi and crawled through snow all the way to Dakota Territory just to sniff the tracks of the wagon that carried granny's laundry.

Looking up records, it seems like my great great grandfathers family in Tennessee married into nearly ever neighbors family up and down the valley where they farmed. I've been back there on a Sunday and went to church. A friendly lady asked where we were from and why were were there and I told here we were digging up dead relatives. She asked my name and upon learning it told me I was kin to the song leader and one of the elders. Sure enough,, she was right. We spend a long lunch with the song leader going over the connections. It was amazing.

Latest posts